Has this ever happened to anyone?

My 2 year old dd woke up this morning with a 102.4 temperature. I gave her motrin and 20 minutes later, her temp was normal. But for that 20 minutes, she was lethargic, and crying. Now she is acting completely normal. No fever or any other signs of being sick. It's just strange....I would think that if she was sick she would at least be a little lethargic. Has this ever happened to anyone? Is it odd?

KaceesMom

Asked by KaceesMom at 1:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Some kids just do not handle fevers/temps very well. My DD acts like nothing is wrong no matter how high the temp is but my son gets red cheeks and cruddy feeling. Just keep a eye on her and i hope her temps stays normal
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• my son used to have ALOT of problems with fevers-his went as high as 106 once!-needless to say we ended up in the ER getting IV's pumped in him-and ice&cold rags all over him...THANK GOD they were able to get the fever to come down!! He's had numerous febrile seizures too! they're scarry! Its sooo hard having a little one thats sick because they can't tell you exactly whats wrong! Luckily so far (knock on wood),my son will be 3 next month and hasnt had problems with a fever,or febrile seizure in going on 2 years! fevers are just a tricky thing-Good Luck!!
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Fevers can cause a child to be lathargic when they would have been fine with a normal temp. Yes, your child could still be sick, but since you dropped the fever and gave her pain control meds, she probably doesnt feel sick anymore. I would encourage you to give her another dose of motrin 6 hours later regardless of what her temp is.

At 2 she is most likely safe from a febrile seizure but my DD has had 6 and they scare the crap out of me so I am quicker to give her motrin then I am with my son. He can handle a fever of 104 totally fine, but my DD seizes once she hits 100.5!! She cant handle any sort of fever at all.

BTW, fevers tend to spike at night so watch your daughter closely this evening
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:37 PM on Aug. 16, 2009