Picky eaters-created or just personality?

What has your situation been like if you have a picky eater? Do you believe it's in their personality or is it based on their environment (parenting)? Just curious.

geminigirl18

Asked by geminigirl18 at 1:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it is a little of both. I think all kids go through picky stages and some kids are more stubborn about it than others. I think how the parents handle these stages is what sets the course. Some kids are more cautious and the parents will have to work much harder to make them 'good eaters' than the parents of a more adventurous eater. Both parents can end up in the same place if they are more stubborn than the kids. I know how tough that can be.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:23 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Both my oldest has her father's personality to a tee. He is picky and so is she, but I can work with her to get her to try new foods, but it is easier if Daddy would eat it first. So both.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:12 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• All kids go through picky phases. When parents cater to them rather than continuing to offer a variety of healthy options, picky eaters are created.
    When a parent states: "all my child will eat is mac & cheese and hot dogs), it is because those are the foods that the parent continues to feed their child. They won't starve.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• The whole reason I'm asking this question is my DF's DS only likes hot dogs and very little else. My DF said he didn't used to be like this. Since his time is less with his father, we figure either he takes after his mom (cuz his dad certainly isn't a picky eater) or she doesn't give him enough variety. I've never been a picky eater. I come from a family of six kids where only one is picky (my sis who's now 27 and still a picky eater) and she takes after my mom. The rest of us def don't suffer from this.

So to remedy this prob with his DS we just try to offer a good variety of foods. It would be helpful if we were on normal terms with the mom, to find out what she feeds him (besides boob at 2 1/2 yo). I know I don't know all that much about being a parent. All I know is what I learned growing up and would be what I'd like to instill in (my step-son for now) my own kids.
    geminigirl18

Answer by geminigirl18 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My middle son is my picky eater.
    He didnt used to be, used to eat anything and everything he was given. Then one day when he was around 2- 2 1/2 he stopped eating corn. Then he stopped eating other things.

Its totally his personality. So, we just do the best we can and keep trying.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2009