Ready to potty train

We recently put out the training potty because she was so fascinated with the big potty. She loves sitting on it and wants her pants down, so I got her pull ups, and she hates having her diaper changed. But she doesn't seem to have any control. So my question is do I start potty training her or just leave her in diapers and let her play?

DevilInPigtails

Asked by DevilInPigtails at 1:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There's nothing wrong with just trying for a few days and seeing how it goes...she probably doesn't even know to think of controlling it yet because she's had no training.

Just give it a shot, if after 4 days there's no big improvements, then just hang it for a month or two and try again.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I would say a little of both.

With Kaylee (15months) we bought her a potty at 1 year and everytime she follows me into the bathroom she sits on it. Last week I started taking off her pants when she sits on it, so she can understand that this is not just any old chair. I think maybe next month I will try some pull-ups so that taking off her pants is a little easier when she follows me in.

I think that the main thing in potty training is letting them go at their own pace. If you push an agenda then everyone involved is just going to get frustrated. Encourage her to be a big girl and use the potty, but don't discipline when she doesn't.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• i just started my daughter on potty training, and i leave the diaper off. for most of the first week, i had to pick her up and bring her to the potty to finish when she started going on the floor. she would get upset about peeing on herself, and seems to have learned on her own that it's not good to go on yourself like that. i would make a huge deal about her finishing on the potty, and within a few days, she was able to get to the potty herself or tell me that she had to go "pee pee". i give her rewards- 2 Reese's pieces for #1, 3 for #2. we are now on the beginning of week 3, and she hasn't had an accident since last saturday. and if she doesn't ask for the "pee pee canny" i don't offer them to her. today she went with my husband to a wedding, and had to wear a diaper. smack in the middle of the ceremony she said loudly, "i go pee pee!" :)
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2009