Did anyone have a toddler who was afraid to potty train?? I need help!!!

My daughter will not potty train, she is completely ready physically, she can hold herself and tells me when she is going to go poopy etc. but if I even mention the potty she starts crying and if I try to make her sit on it she gets hysterical and uses all her strength to NOT sit on the potty. . . I am getting so frustrated and overwhelmed because there is no reason for her to be acting this way, she went pee several times on the potty and was fine but as soon as she had her first poop on it about 6 months ago she has been terrified. What can I do please someone help me!!!!

ambergrace612

Asked by ambergrace612 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe she thinks that it is a part of her coming off, like kids get upset at getting their hair cut. I would talk to her about the poo and what it is. Also let her see you poo and let her flush it down for you. THis might help her to get used to the idea of pooing in the potty.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Some kids are afraid of pottty. My son is one of them. He wont do anything. I wish ihad advice for you but sadly i dont. good luck.
    josiahmom

Answer by josiahmom at 1:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• my daughter isnt scared of it but she just wont do it. she knows when she needs to go also but she wont do it.iv been working with her for about 9 months now
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 1:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My brother-in-law was the same way when he was little my MIL said. He was soo scared to sit on the potty and go. She said she just let him run around the house all day with no diaper on. Eventually he had to go and he started crying for his diaper but she wouldn't put it on him. He finally sat on the toliet but was crying and holding onto her. He did poop and she started cheering for him and let him flush it himself. No problems after that!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• "because there is no reason for her to be acting this way" Yet you said, "if I try to make her sit on it she gets hysterical and uses all her strength to NOT sit on the potty"

To me, having someone FORCE me to sit on a potty is a pretty darn good reason to start hating it. Maybe stop trying to force her and wait a month and try again.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 4:50 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Try leaving the potty in a "safe" room like her bedroom or livingroom. Let her sit on it on her own terms while watching some tv or having a light snack. This should help get her used to having it around. Try to get a book or dvd explaining the process. She may just be rebelling against you for the sake of rebelling. She will do it on her own time. Toddlers are like that. The more you force, the less they cooperate.
    irockhardkorps

Answer by irockhardkorps at 8:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Hey Amber, I just saw your post and as a mom who just finally got her daughter potty trained I would advise cheering her on and trying to talk her through it. We also used a type of bribe if you want to call it that. When Cordelia would go pee we would cheer and congratulate her to make her feel good then we would offer her a treat. If it was during the day we would give her a piece of candy, at night it was an extra story for being a "Big girl". Cordelia fought it at first as well and used the potty, then shied away from it. Give your daughter her space and when she is ready to try again she will. Also a big hit for us was taking Cordelia shopping and buying her princess panties. She loves them. Good luck.
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 3:47 AM on Aug. 19, 2009