Do you sign them up for extracurricular activities?

I think its very important to a child's development to participate in classes and other team sports to develop. One year my daughter was in Soccer. Then we did drama, now she is signed up for dance classes. I never got the opportunity as a child because we were poor. I understand some parents just cannot afford the classes. But whenever I can I make sure my DD has these opportunities. What kinds of things do you allow your child(ren) to do?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 1:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• We do swim lessons, they love, it and it wears them out. I am going to have my oldest do soccer next year, she is such an energizer bunny. I think my youngest and I are going to try a drum beat/dance class at the YMCA. She loves music.
    My grandma's "rent" was paying for the extracurricular classes, I have seen how dance has made some physical things easier to pick up. Piano aswell. And swim lessons well I think are just smart and fun.
    I also want both my girls to take self defense, when they are older.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Well we are on the poor spectrum, however I try to get them into whatever they show an interest in. My son wanted to play drums, my husband is a musician, so he called his old drummer from his band to teach our son. If they show an interest, I try to make it happen but I don't push.
    goddessmom

Answer by goddessmom at 1:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Yes, I do. Extracurricular activities are just as important as academics. Being in a team sport or part of a band, teach teamwork, cooperation, getting along with many different kinds of people. I may not have a lot of money, but if my son wants to play a sport or be in music, I will find the money for him to be involved, even if it means I go without. He is in baseball for 6 months of the year and bowling too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• It has to be something my kids like. They have the option of anything they want to do... But if they dont like it I will take them out and put them in something they like. Growing up I played soft ball and LOOOOOOVED it! My Mom Remarried and her husband told me I needed to be more like a little girl and took me out of my softball. He then put me in Dance classes. I absolutely hated the dance classes. I didnt want to be a ballerina I wanted to play ball. It was fun and energetic! He wouldnt let me. He made me dance for 8 years until I was 16 and he and my Mom split up cause he was far to controlling of everyone in the house. As soon as he was gone I dropped dacing like a hot pan... But I think having kids in activities is good as long as its not something theyre being forced into if they hate the particular activity
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I have a 1 week old son but I have already decided that he will be required to be in at least 1 excurricular activity once he is old enough. He can choose what he wants it to be and of course he can do more if he wants, but at least 1 is my rule. It has been proven that kids who are in extracurricular activities stay out of trouble more than those kids who have nothing productive to do after school. Also, there are so many benefits like building self-esteem and confidence, learning to work as a team, learning respect for peers and other authority figures, physcial/mental excerise, etc. Its worth it to me to find a way to make it happen for my son.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I think EA are important but I have found many people who disagree with me. My kids have so much fun playing sports. I think its those parents who are afraid that their kids will be picked on, made fun of or not be the best at something that keep them out. My oldest is 15 and she plays volleyball, loves drama and I think is going to start tennis this spring. My 11 yr old is now playing volleyball over soccer and then in the winter she will play basketball and in the spring will play softball. My 7 yr old son plays football (this is his first year in tackle) and then he plays baseball. We do a lot of running around but I promised myself that just because we had a big family, I wouldnt let it keep my kids out of sports. Yes, sometimes Im at one event and my husband is at another, but one of us is always there. Now that my kids are in private school, we have to do a lot more travelling.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:42 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I encourage my kids to do whatever extra activities they want to do. They stay busier than I want them to be sometimes, but this yr I have 2 in FFA, which is wonderful for the kids, they learn leadership skills and many many other, my older kids are on student council and class officers, my youngest plays softball and wants to play basketball, last yr my older daughter was a cheerleader, glad she isnt this yr, she had a knee injury, my son played baseball until it interfered too much with FFA, my son is also in choir, so we stay really busy here with all that. I do not think activities should interfere with grades though, so if they arent up to par, we start eliminating the extras.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Anon That is horrible that he forced you to do something you hated. I agree the child needs to like the activity. My DD wanted to do Soccer but we did not sign her up for another year because after doing it she did not enjoy it as much as she thought she would. Halfway through she wanted to quit. I did make her finish the year because I don't believe you should stop something you wanted to start. But after that it was her choice whether she wanted to sign up again.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My son can't wait until he's old enough to play little league baseball and I can't wait either soon as sign ups begin next year you can guarantee we are going to be right there. If he shows interest in anything else I will do my best to make sure he will be able to play or do it. My parents never got me into anything as a child and I really regret it.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• he has been in dance, karate, and baseball. When he shows and interest we try to let him try the new thing
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 16, 2009