• In the Spotlight:

Blood type change during pregnancy??? Rogam shot??

Wondering if anyone has gone thru this...
I was sick every hour of every day when I was preggo.. it was horrible :( My Dr. gave me Zofran to help and it did, for about a month and a half..(my body got use to the medicine and wasnt working as well.. anywho,
I go to my checkup (37 weeks) and she sends me to the hospital for high BP. They give me a room and for the next 3 DAYS take blood samples from me and ask me if Ive had a Rogam shot?? FINALLY my Dr. comes in and says she has never had a patient like me. I formed antibodies on my blood because my body thought my daughter was an invader and it was trying to get rid of her! :( Has ANYONE had this happen?? And what is a Rogam shot? Nobody gave me a straight answer and they were just surprised I didnt get one...
So Ive been told I will be high risk for my next pregnancy...
Ive been A+ all my life & now Im AB+?!?
Its a lot of info, but can anyone help w/ info?? thanks!

davesgirl86

Asked by davesgirl86 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That is weird, I would talk to someone at the blood bank, they are the blood experts.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:37 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• It is my *guess* that your baby had negative blood. What you said they told you about your blood attacking your baby - is the exact description my gyno gave me when I was pregnant.( He basically told me that if my baby's blood was positive them my blood would see the baby's blood as an intruder and try to defend me against it). They didn't know what my baby's blood type was (nor what the father's type was) - I have a negative RH, if my baby had of had a positive RH them I would have had to have the shot. My baby's blood was negative (A-), I am also A-, the father is also A-. So no shot.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:38 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• im guessing here but i think the rogam shot must be the shot they give you so that if your blood is positive and baby daddys blood is negative your body wont reject the baby. aparently baby daddy must have negative blood type if your body is rejecting the baby
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My step mom had like 6 MC's because her body attacked the baby. She had to get shots every couple of weeks so she could carry a baby. It was because of her blood type and she wasn't like that untill after she had her first kid.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• So what does the shot do exactly?? Ill pull out papers to see what my daughter is Ive beenn A+ my whole life and Im pretty sure my hubby is B+... I just noticed on the paper when we left the hospital it said mothers blood type AB+...
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=51717

This site will tell you all about Rh incompatibility.

However, from what I understand if you have positive blood type, you should not need a shot to prevent complications.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Im O- and i had to have two shots when before the baby was born. As far as your blood changing I dont know.
    vickyburns

Answer by vickyburns at 1:30 AM on Aug. 17, 2009