Please help my daughter has quit sleeping throught the night

My daughter , who is 9 months old has slept through the night since about 2 l/2 months old, started waking up after being to sleep for 2 - 3 hrs and wants to play for another 2 - 3 hrs before I can get her back to sleep. I hope someone has a suggestion on whats going on with her. Thanks

Gran1954

Asked by Gran1954 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep her awake ALL day. The first couple of days will be difficult, the first night will be difficult - but it will put her body-clock back right. She'll cry, you'll probably cry too - hang in there mom. It was horrible when my baby's clock got messed up. This was the ONLY thing that worked - so it was very handy when baby #2s clock got up-side-down. Keep her wake all day, she tries to nap, take her outside, engage her, wake her up and let her have ONE nap (but not as long as she usually naps). Good luck.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:45 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Maybe she gets hungry! Give her a good snack before bed! It might help!! Also, have her take her nap earlier in the day for maybe only one hour instead of two! You can also try to have her do some sort of physical activity before bed! I know I sleep better when I stretch or something before bed!!
    alyjax03

Answer by alyjax03 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Hunger would be my first thought - make sure she's getting a healthy snack before bed (something with fat and protein...like cheese, yogurt, peanut butter, etc.). Often times a growth spurt will cause night wakings. I wouldn't suggest keeping her awake all day....it has been my experience that a well rested baby sleeps longer and better than an overly tired one...but thats just my opinion. Once you've addressed the hunger situation, you might find that your daughter has simply figured out that she can get you into her room in the middle of the night and enjoys the play time. The trouble is that she doesn't get to make those rules. You might just have to let her be until she falls back asleep. My daughter started with the night wakings at about 9 mo....she would wake up several times a night - sometimes crying (but not seriously) and sometimes just babbling but I was just really consistent about not going in her room and
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• and eventually it calmed down. She could also be having trouble sleeping due to a new skill...is she pulling up to standing or cruising along furniture? If so, you could have sleep issues at night until she figures out how to walk comfortably. These things are soooo exciting to baby that they often keep them up at night. Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2009