Why is my child banging his head on everything?

My 16 month old has always been a head banger. He bangs his head against the walls, one the floor, ect . . . Sometimes he'll do it when he's mad, sometimes for no apparent reason. Now that he's getting older and he's doing more often, it's worrying us. Anyone have a child who does this or has any explanation for this strange behavior?

Blueberryplz

Asked by Blueberryplz at 1:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it's normal. I thought it was very strange when my son did it too, but then his neice came down to visit (she's 4 months older) and she did the same thing! Appariently it was just a strange phase and my son stopped shortly after he started. He was around your kiddo's age, maybe a little younger. He's three now and perfect as can be and does not bang his head, lol, as he is well aware that it's painful. I'm not sure why kids do it, but a lot of them do for some reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• my son is 17 months and has been doing it since he was bout 9 months old. Last month was the worst... its getting better now. We started putting him in the bad boy chair and he started learning. He still does it every so often but not near as often. He did it ALL the time and I was starting to worry too... but its just part of his temperament. Just start putting him in the bad boy chair for 1 minute. Anytime Masons being bad we say "do yo want to go to the bad boy chair!??!" he stops right away.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Ever since my now eight year old was six months old he was a head banger. When he was still doing it at 18 months we had him checked out by a neurologist and a developmental pediatrician. Both diagnosed him with autism. We had to put him on prozac for about a year so he wouldn't hurt himself. Not saying this is necessarily the case for you, but it's my experience. Perhaps you should schedule an appointment to rule it out or in my case rule it in.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Oh thank GOD! My son is 16 months and he does the SAME thing!! When he gets mad or aggravated or just being silly. He will run from one end of the house to the other, stopping when he makes contact with wall and then hits his head against it....then back he goes! LOL...It's nice to hear he's not completely crazy! I am pretty sure it's just a faze. 

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:50 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I would distract him when possible and ignore it when it isnt.
    Two of mine were head bangers and they both grew out of it.
    lovebdus

Answer by lovebdus at 11:38 PM on Aug. 16, 2009