Do you think its ok to use curse words when calling 911

http://nerdnirvana.org/category/Current-Events/teenage-girl-arrested-for-cursing-on-911/
girl calls 911, curses because she's freaking out about her dad, and the 911 operator decides to teach her a lesson on cursing by hanging up on her several times before getting help.
or Erin Andrews the ESPN reporter http://www.tmz.com/2009/07/29/erin-andrews-911-call-im-the-naked-one/
Andrews: Yeah, I'm just — I did nothing wrong, and I'm being treated like fucking Britney Spears, and it sucks. I'm sorry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• When a person is panicked, they're entitled to use whatever language they need to use at the time. I don't see how delaying medical care for an emergency is the time for an etiquette lesson.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Personally I think it is in poor taste to use curse words at all, but punish someone for cursing on a 911 call?!?! If it was a real emergency, that is absolutely ridiculous. The girl could certainly clean up her mouth though!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• "I was never able to transfer it to you..." BULLSHIT he kept hanging up on her!! He should be fired or at least put on leave. That is absurd.

Her profanity started out as mild, and increased as she became more agitated and panicked, as it would with most people. I agree with what she said about how they should be trained in how to deal with panicking people and should have handled the situation better.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I saw that a while back... . when you're in such a panicked state - verbage shouldn't be an issue. It's not like she said "you sorry piece of Effin sh!7 " Curse words seem to be a part of the way our society (and people) communicate - it shouldn't have been held against her.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:13 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• one, that guy should NOT be hanging up on her. for all he knows there could be something horrible happening on the other line but he doesn't give a shit because he wants to teach her a 'lesson'
    she should've never got arrested when she was the one freaking out trying to get help and the 911 operator was doing shit for her.
    they're there to help the victims. they should fire that guy.
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 2:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• No but when you are panicking you aren't thinking about the words you are using.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:12 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• It really isn't ok to use curse words at any time. I think we can get our point across during any communication without them. I don't always practice that, but I do believe it. I just don't need them to convey my needs and especially when I need someone to help me no matter how panicked I am.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I think a lawsuit is in order.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 6:22 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I think 911 operators should be trained to deal with whatever might be thrown at them in a professional manner, and ensuring that the people that call get the assistance they need. I do not think it is in any way acceptable for a 911 operator to hang up on someone simply b/c they don't agree with the language that person is using. Should she have been cursing? Well, no, probably not. But, you know, I've said things in an emergency I never say otherwise. My boyfriend heard me use the F word for the first time the night I fell and broke my ankle while on the phone with him. I would have been beyond angry if I'd had to call 911 that night and the operator hung up on me for cursing.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:29 PM on Aug. 16, 2009