Toddler Bed

What is a good age to transition my son from a crib to a toddler bed?

HeatherLeigh

Asked by HeatherLeigh at 2:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know that there is a good or bad age. My kids have all transitioned around 18 months. My 2 and 3 year old now sleep in bunk beds and my daughter will be in a toddler bed at the end of the year (15 months or so).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:12 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• We did both our kids around 18 months, but that is because neither ever liked their crib...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• We did it at 2 with my oldest we just took the one side of crib off, then at 3 into a toddler bed, she loved her new Elmo bed. My youngest is all but begging (only cause she can't really talk) for a toddler bed. She is always climbing on her sister and "sleeping" the same with mine and the spare bed, when we put her on them. So I am hoping when she is 2 my oldest will get a loft bed (military small rooms) and my youngest will get the Elmo toddler bed.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• When they start climbing out of the crib...its definitely time. =) Other than that, its a judgment call. A friend of mine went straight from a crib to a twin size bed. She just put the mattress on the floor alone (so he can climb in and out safely) and will transition him to a regular height twin later on.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I think it just depends on your child.  I did mine when he was 25 1/2 months, and if I had to do it all over again, I would have waited.  Its been a battle ever since (he's 29 months now) getting him to go to bed.  Not that it was always easy when he was in a crib, but at least he couldn't get out (he wasn't even attempting to climb out).  Only way to get him to stay in bed is to wait until he falls asleep, whether that be by rocking him or laying him down in our bed, w/ us.

BTW, the reason I chose to do it then was because I was due to have surgery about a month later and I knew I wouldn't be able to lift him for awhile so I did it to make things easier for me.

mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 4:12 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My children were between 2 & 2 1/2 years old when they transitioned, but they went right into a twin bed from the crib - we never bought toddler beds. Stores sell nice side rails for children's beds if a parent is worried about them rolling over too far to the edge and falling out.
    We transitioned my children at those ages because that was when the next baby was being born and needed the crib...LOL.
    Also, anytime a child is climbing out of their crib is the time when a parent will have to transition them to a bed.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:19 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Well William went straight into a toddler bed the summer after he turned 2. He does really good in it.
    mommyofwilliam

Answer by mommyofwilliam at 8:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• At about 18 months my daughter got her toddler bed. She loves Dora so we bought her a dora bed and dora sheets and comforter and pillow. And she slept in it every night since. She even lays down for her nap on her own in her bed.
    Mommy-N-07-N-09

Answer by Mommy-N-07-N-09 at 6:16 AM on Aug. 19, 2009