Why do you believe people bully? And if you were a bully as a child (or even adult) Why did you do it? Do you ever stop and feel bad for what you did?

Tia_B

Asked by Tia_B at 2:48 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't recall making fun of anybody or bullying anybody when I was younger. I was also never made fun of, which I'm grateful for!
    I think children who bully are most likely being pushed around and bullied at home.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:54 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• People bully because their insecure and fearful. They never want to be the underdog and they want to keep an upper hand on all their relationships out of protection of their own hearts. I was not a bully as child, but quite the opposite. I was much more timid and shy and was on the receiving end of the bullies. Now that I am older, I went through a particular situation in which I put my heart out and thought other people were going to care for it like they told me they would but they didnt. I got so hurt and in the next 2 years, I became a bully. I would deliberately start fights with people for no reason. I hated that feeling. Ive come down a bit but what I learned is that I dont have to bully people to make myself feel better, but it is okay to stand up for myself. I dont take crap from anyone, but I still make sure everyone gets the same love, compassion and respect they deserve from me. Moderation is key!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I wasn't the bully. I was the protector of those who were being bullied. I still do it today. I watch over others like they are my own kids when I see them being harmed like that. It does long term damage to the person. Bullying is a cycle. They learn it usually from abusive parents or close family members. It's got a serious trickle down effect where they will take their pent up anger out on someone else they consider weaker than themselves since they can't strike back at their bully. I've got a friend who has a ten yr old who is being bullied and I just told her to have her come hang with me. I'll work on her self esteem and teach her to be assertive without upsetting her bully. If that doesn't work I'll take a little visit to the bully but would rather the youngster learn to deal with it herself. It's crossed the line from simple bullying into assault and I won't tolerate that.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:15 PM on Aug. 16, 2009