What do think will happen?

I am 36 wks and 2 days along in my pregnancy. I went to the doc last week and was dignosed with High Blood pressure...and gained 6lbs in 12days. He sent me for all kinds of blood work and said this wednesday we will talk about possible options! Right now I am just on bed rest...which is really cramping me and my hubby for money. BUT...i did talk to mom and she said when she had high blood pressure...they induced her at 37wks...Any one go thru the same thing??

oxcarirenexo

Asked by oxcarirenexo at 3:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When I was prego with my second one towards the end I started getting high blood pressure. My midwife was grouchy most of the time it seemed so I pretty much ended up going over my due date by one day. But I really didn't start getting the high blood pressure till around 37 - 37 1/2 weeks. I can't really tell you what they will do next but I can give you some tips on high blood pressure because my family has history of it. My grandfather whose got high blood pressure told me to eat some potato chips or something when my blood pressure was high something about the salt would help it I don't know how true that is or anything. Also you could get a VERY COLD rag. Like wet it with cold water put it on your head for a few minutes and then put it in the freezer and keep repeating if need be. If you're gaining weight I wouldn't stay completely on bedrest I mean I know the docs probably told you so but I would...
    daisy_5245

Answer by daisy_5245 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• ...Try to do little things if possible and things that were mostly stress free such as going for a small walk or if you like cooking maybe cooking a small dinner just something to keep slighly active. You could also try some things that ease your mind reading perhaps just something that could be stress free so your blood pressure doesn't keep spiking! I know I'm not much help and don't have great knowledge on this but I hope it does help you!
    daisy_5245

Answer by daisy_5245 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• The salt thing is an old wives tale...doesn't work (salt increases blood pressure, hence why they usually put you on a low sodium diet when you get it). Anyways, my doctor was telling me that if my blood pressure is still high that I will go in early to have the baby. She is aiming for 37weeks but isn't sure I'll even go that far seeing as I have other conditions that could mean an early delivery. If you still have high blood pressure there is a large likelihood they will induce you early.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• There are some things you might try to better your health:

• Exercise regularly

• Maintain a healthy, balanced diet, containing plenty of raw fruits and vegetables

• Protein is very important in preventing high blood pressure and ecclampsia, you need at least 80 grams of protein daily

• Limiting red meat can help you maintain a lower blood pressure, make sure you are getting protein from other sources
  • doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:48 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Salt your food to taste, do not eliminate salt from your diet

• Cucumbers help reduce blood pressure

• Avoid stress where possible

• Instead of coffee, tea, or colas, drink: raspberry leaf, nettles, limeflower or dandelion teas

• Juice of half a lemon or lime plus two teaspoons of cream of tartar in a half a cup of water once a day for three days, lowers your blood pressure, if needed, repeat after a break of two days

• 2-4 capsules of Passionflower daily, or 15 drops of the tincture three times a day, continue for several weeks for the most benefit

doulala

• when i was pregnant with my son i got high blood pressure also and i was put on bed rest. sadly i got my high blood pressure alot earlier then you did. but i also was going into pre-term laqbor, which caused me to have to be in the hospital on and off....i got put on bed rest at home at 24 weeks....no fun....it made it really hard because i had a toddler at the time too, well i got to stay on bed rest at home for about two weeks, then at about 27 weeks i got put into the hospital. thankfully my mom helped out with my daughter the whole time i was in there. i did not spend as much time in the hospital as i thought i would, i had to  be induced at 33 and a half weeks. which is strange because i went into pre-term labor to many times to count, but when they wanted me to go into labor my body did not want to...lol....stubborn baby...but he was six weeks early and weighted almost seven pounds!

MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.