Really racism?

How many incidents that people feel they have been discriminated against were actually just misunderstandings or self full filling prophecies? I am writing anon because I don't want to come across as insensitive. I really do wonder though, because I don't see it, how often there really are noticeable incidents of racism. Of course some would say I wouldn't see it. But even stories I hear often sound like misunderstandings.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it happens a lot. Accusing someone of racism has become such an immediate, thoughless, cry that I have heard blacks call other blacks racists when angry and not thinking. At that point, I understood that the term has become the new "cry wolf". We are all become so numb to it that if it is ever true, no one will be listening or care.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Racism is racism, if your speaking out against another race that is good enough to be racism to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• This is from yesterday, didn't sound like a misunderstanding to me.
    http://www.adn.com/front/story/899153.html
    Anonymous

• I am of Asian decent. I was once in Target browsing the cosmetics, when a man approached me, looking like he was about to ask a question, but then said "whats the point-- you don't even speak English." I have gone into restaurants where people won't wait on me, yet I see tables all around me getting drinks, orders, etc.

Most of the bad encounters I've had are usually fueled by ignorance rather than overt racism. I've had people ask me what Chinese characters mean--- I'm not Chinese, but they assume that I should know simply because I'm from the same continent. Yet people would look at me funny if I assumed they spoke German or French simply because they're white.

Perhaps you're not seeing it because you haven't been subjected to it. But go somewhere where you are the minority and see if you don't see it. My husband, who is white, didn't understand until he was in that position.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• If someone is making direct insults about your race and implying their race is more superior, then THAT'S racist. Just speaking out against someone who is of a different race (especially when race was never mentioned) is not racist.. I see this word tossed around way too much lately.

And anon :15, about the Chinese character thing, I dont think that's racist. That's just people being ignorant. I will be honest and say it's hard for me to recognize specific Asian races.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• yes i think lot of it is just misunderstandings or people read more into something than it really is.
    krystiansmom06

Answer by krystiansmom06 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My little sister is half black, and I was 19 when my mom had her. My mother being the loser that she is, I had her on my own for a bit. Every time I took her out someone would make some kind of comment. Use your imagination. People can be such jerks.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:02 PM on Aug. 16, 2009