I was just reading about eczema . . .

Because I think my dd may have it. However, webmd makes it sound more serious. Is it always red and blistery looking? My daughter get little bumps on her triceps and her outer thighs. They are not red or blistery. They are skin tone and just feel dry. Could it just be dry skin? I bought Aveeno soothing wash and lotion today for her. I'm just confused. Moms with experience, help please. Thanks.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• In my experience it varies from person to person, my oldest DD has sever eczema, she has periods of clear skin however when her eczema acts up it can get very bad, her type of eczema looks like little pimples (just the shape) the skin around it is red and generally raised they often bleed. Her last break out took a great deal of effort to clear up, and many medications. She finally had to be put on a steroid to clear her skin. For daily prevention she uses Elidel(RX), and Zyrteck. She also sees an allergist as many cases of eczema are linked to allergies. She is allergic to dust mites, cats, soy and eggs.

Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 5:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I don't have experience - however, my friend does have eczema (we've been friends since we were 5.. and we're 22 now, if that makes a difference..?)
    Anyway. Hers are not ALWAYS red and blistery - it depends on the weather as well. But most of the time, it's kind of whitish or skin tone colored - depending on if she has a tan too - and very dry. It's itchy and kind of flaky looking.
    And she gets them on her thighs, back of her neck, inside of her elbows...
    It turned out that she was allergic to a specific chemical in body wash and shampoos and stuff - You could definitely bring that up with your doctor's pedi- maybe get an allergy testing done to see if it heightens it as well.
    Other than that - she's an Aveeno fan.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• there are different levels of it, mild to extreme aveeno works but what really works is aquafil (sp) or eucerlin(sp) lotion
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I use hydrcortizone for my dd. She gets like rough lil dry patches on her shoulders and legs. I put it on morning and evening and it works really well, I would avoid any type of lotion on the area because it can irritate it even aveeno. The only 2 things I recommend are aquaphor or hydrocortizone.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 4:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Webmd is great but they list extremes a lot.

My friend's son had it really bad on his face, legs, etc. It almost looked like a really bad diaper rash. It was red, raised, cracked, some parts looks blistery looking. She used aquaphor and it worked really well.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 4:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• How often should I bathe her? I was putting her in the tub every night, but only washing every other night. In the last week or so, I have went to every other night, because she just feels drier. What do you do with your kid?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• if her skin is really dry, whether it's eczema or not, Eucerin Aquafor works great. Have to use it on my sons eczema daily. ask the dr next time you are there
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• That does sound like excema. Eliminate dairy; keep her well hydrated; keep baths short, cool and infrequent; keep the afflicted areas well moisturized with something simple, like coconut oil

Answer by rkoloms at 5:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• bathe only 1 every other day or longer if she doesnt get dirty! I am able to control my dd's now so she gets a bath everyday if dirty and every other day if she is clean enough to wait.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 5:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I have 2 DD who have eczema,one DD case is bad,but,the other DD is mild,both girls do well with the RX from the DR,either girl did well with Euerine,also both girls tend to have bad flare ups in the summer,my older DD get so upset because her rash is on her outer legs,and shoulder. Please contact your DR,because you can hear 100s of cases,and everyone of them can be different,and your child's rash can be something different. I hope your DD feel better soon.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 16, 2009