i HAVE to pump now...

soo my dd is breastfed and for the last 3 days whenever i feed her she cant keep it down UNLESS we give it to her in a bottle for some reason. anyone have this happen, or have any idea why this might be??

Asked by itsbree2you at 4:17 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Overactive Letdown. Go to and search. I'm nak or I'd link you directly.

Answer by Arisce at 4:19 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• what do you mean "keep it down" ? Is she throwing up after you bf her? the milk is the same whether you bf or bottle feed it to her. The only other thing I can think of is if you have been bottle feeding her for a bit, she might just be used to the bottle. confused? need specifics first if you do not mind.

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Yes she throws up.. or just spits up ALOT. I get worried that she's not eating enough. She has been having a ton of wet diapers though. I was thinking maybe she gets TOO much TOO quick when I feed her from the breast. I only bottle feed once in awhile, not often at all.. but i need her to get used to bottles because i go back to work this week.

Answer by itsbree2you at 4:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Well if she is going to be fed from the bottle anyway then just pump and bottle feed, it seems like it would be better for her if she is keeping it down. Just pump and store.

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 4:29 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Wet diapers is a good sign she is getting enough. I do recall a few times, my daughter over ate and throw up like the exersist. scary. If she is still young (like under 3 months), that would be my thought, over eating. Since you do say you are getting back to work, then continue to give her bottles. When you are home and even on the weekends, you can continue the breast. If you are going to continue with breastmilk, do not forget to pump at work every 3-4 hours and store it in the frige or in a cooler. When you get home, put them in freezer bags enough for each feeding.

Back to the throwing up, after 5 mins. or so, latch her off your breast and try burping her then resume to same breast or the other. If she is very hungry, perhaps she is sucking so much and the is what is causing her to throw up. do not wait for her to cry for it. you should know the signs of her getting hungry and the time too..........

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• ............ a calm and quite feeding makes a big diference.

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Overactive letdown....heres a link about it
    and other links that explain the fussiness and spit up being from OAL

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I also think that overactive letdown may be the culprit. There are ways to make it work, if you are interested. Check out the breastfeeding moms group.

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2009