La Leche League... who has used it?

I was looking into making meetings but I read somewhere you have to pay and I don't have that kind of extra money. Is it worth it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I WANTED to, but the LLL around me sucks. No support whatsoever. I tried contacting several of the leaders when my DD was losing weight and everyone was pressuring me to supplement with formula (I never did....I figured out everything and worked everything out ALONE, considering my MIL, mom, DH, grandma, etc. could care less that I breastfeed...and have no support..) and they'd tell me they'd call me back, but never did. They said they'd e-mail me back but never did... I had a crappy experience with them. Hopefully you'll have a better experience. It sucks, out of everyone around me I thought they'd be able to help...but they didn't want to and the LC (yep, just one) in my area told me also to put formula in my breast milk for added calories..
    chairhead28

Answer by chairhead28 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• NO, it's free, but if you'd like to join (optional), you can. Isn't like $35./year? I think that is what it used to be. You get a subscription to the magazine which has been immensely helpful for me!!!
    But no matter, go and attend the meetings for free, they have been awesome!!!!! Some areas have multiple meetings so you can sometimes see which place is the better fit for you.
    Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Odd I used it a couple of times and never paid a cent. Yes it was worth at least one visit. They helped me learn how to get baby to latch properly.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I want to. I have heard awesome things about them. I will be buying their book here within the next month or so
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Here is the info I just found, there are varying rates for different things.

All About La Leche League

doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:23 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• babycakes~ just wanted to add that they have a lending library at the meetings. The leaders loan out their books. You can also get books through your local library so you don't need to purchase anything.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I was not happy with the LLL in my area either. I only went to one meeting. I didn't feel very welcome, and I didnt feel like I was free to talk about my concerns. I felt that I would have been condemned for needing to supplement in the beginning. I ended up turning to books and my hospitals lactation nurse and my hubby for the support I needed to get to the right information and help.

Crystal750

Answer by Crystal750 at 8:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2009