Ear infection, fever and dehydration

I took my dd to the ped on friday because she had a fever of 102 for 24 hours. (shes 14 months) She had an ear infection. Shes on day 3 of the meds and and no fever but now shes been crying on and off ALL day. She wants me to hold her and then cries when i pick her up. Shes eating better today but didnt really drink much yesterday. today shes drinking a ton but still not having real wet diapers. Could she be dehydrated?

emilysmom401

Asked by emilysmom401 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, she is probably dehydrated if she's not having wet diapers. Try a different type of sippy cup or straight from a cup...if her ears still hurt, it might hurt to suck on the sippy/bottle. Also, are you giving her some Motrin? It will help dull the pain and it is an anti inflammatory so it will reduce inner ear swelling...it might help her feel more like drinking/eating. Best wishes.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:45 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Give her some Pedialyte. It works wonders! Each time my DS2 and DD1 were dehydrated, they'd be peeing through their diapers after a day of pedialyte. Give Motrin and Tylenol on an alternating basis (Motrin is every 8 hours, Tylenol every 4, so give Motrin, 4 hours later give Tylenol, 4 hours later Motrin, etc). It will help with the ear pain.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 1:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2009