can someone tell me the differance?

Between a Christian and a Unitarian/Universalist? I've tried looking information up but really haven't found much. (examples please). Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Universalists believe all religions have a way to God. They call themselves Christian, but they don't believe Jesus when he says, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." John 14:6
    They pick and choose what they want to believe out of the bible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• UUs are open minded and accept people of all faiths. The churches aren't Christian or any other religion specifically, if I understand it correctly. They are open to people of every religion and don't teach any. Anyone can attend them, whether they're Christian, Jewish, Pagan, Satanist, etc. Here's a link to their website.

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:48 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Who do you know who follows every law in the bible?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• "Who do you know who follows every law in the bible?"

Jesus!!!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:50 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Cinnamon-mom, Just wondering.... Do you believe the bible when we are told to correct each other? If yes, then how about you correcting (with scripture) the Universalist Christian view about many ways to God? Can you show me how to do that, you know, without getting any one upset?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Anon, I can help you find scriptures that I believe discourage a universalist approach to Christianity, yes. I am sorry I didn't answer your question.

I believe that there is only one way to God and that is through Jesus Christ. The verse above from John 14 is great. There is also Jn 10:9, "I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved." The Bible is clear that salvation comes by believing in Jesus, and that the enemy tries to deceive people. The parable of the sower tells that the seed is the Word of God "The seed that fell on the hard path represents those who hear the message, but then the Devil comes and steals it away and prevents them from believing and being saved." Luke 8. The devil is involved in deceiving people and keeping them from believing in Jesus. Why would he waste his time if our faith didn't save us?

cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:03 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• In Acts 4 we read, "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." There is only salvation by faith in Christ. Romans 10:5 is also clear, "if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." and "For "whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved." Romans 10:13

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; [it is] the gift of God," Ephesians 2:8 -- salvation comes through faith. Faith is so important to God. Even Abraham was counted righteous because of His faith.

If God was able to be reached through any path, why would He have forbid Isreal to worship pagan gods? Why would He say that they are idols and to stay away from them, I mean if they really were just a different path to Him.

cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:09 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• He, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of the Bible, has never ever accepted worship towards pagan gods as misguided yet sincere worship to Him the creator. He has never thought it was okay. He has repeatedly condemned the worship of other gods and even desired foreigners to worship Him in spirit and in truth. And the Lord Jesus commissioned the church to go out into all the nations and make disciples. Why would He care to evangelize if people could come to Him and be saved on a different path? Why would He say that He is the only way, not just one way to God?

I need to put my kids to bed now, but you can feel free to pm me if you have any questions. Here is a link to a website that can give you more information on universalism from a Christian point of view.

Universalism

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:14 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Answered at 2:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Universalists believe all religions have a way to God. They call themselves Christian, but they don't believe Jesus when he says, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." John 14:6

There are alot of those on this forum.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Cinnamon-mom, Thank you for all those passages that show Jesus is the only way.
    Would you tnink a Universalist should be able to say they are a Christian?
    I've seen that you are friends with Universalists here. Do you think they would still want to be your friend if you told them they aren't Christian?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Aug. 17, 2009