What can I do to stop my 3 yr old from unbuckling her seatbelt?

Shes in a booster and she uses regular seatbelt that are in my van across her chest n down to her side..she like to unbuckle..obviously we pull over but what can I do to know she cant n shes safe

MamaOf3Girls09

Asked by MamaOf3Girls09 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well if she has to be in a booster tell her that the consequences, my dd is 3 1/2 and she is still in a 5 point harness seat, but she knows why she has to wear it. she knows if someone elses car accidentally hits mommy's car she can get hurt if she doesn't have it on, and maybe have to go stay at the doctor's office for awhile, even sleep there. and that if a police man sees her w/o it on mommy can get in really big trouble and go to mommy time out for a long long time and not be able to see her. she gets that and even reminds me now to put mine on the second i get into the car.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:50 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I don't know if they still have them, but there used to be some safety things to add to the seatbelts. Other than that , it's just being firm and putting her back. If possible, tell her she can't go next time if she unbuckles her belt again. Other than that, I wish you lots of luck.
    GiGito1SoFar

Answer by GiGito1SoFar at 5:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Wow she's pretty smart. My four year-old doesn't even try. I would just try good old fashioned discipline. Let her know that if she does it, then there will be a consequence.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Three is too young to be in a booster with a regular seat belt.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 6:13 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• She needs discipline. Clearly explain what the consequence will be for unbuckling the seat belt. The minute she unbuckles, pull over, take her outside, and put her in time out (yes, right there on the side of the road.)

Oh, and give her something else to do in the car.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 6:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My daughter did that the first time in the booster seat. We were in a residential area so I stoped as fast as I could without throwing her out of the booster and spanked her right in the middle of the road. I very rarely spank so I think she was in shock but she understood just how dangerous it was after that and never did it again. BTW She normally rides in a 5 point harness but it was in Daddys car.
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 6:45 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• The couple of times my son has been in a regular booster he has done the same thing (he's 4 and still ina 5pt harness) and each time he did he got popped for it, some may say that's harsh but he didn't listen to me when I told him how dangerous it was so that was my last resort and it worked.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 8:54 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I'd spank her and if she won't stay buckled in a booster seat then I'd put her back in a 5pt harness.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 9:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• 3 seems way too young to be in a booster...I'd put her back in a 5 point harness.

Give her something to do, a coloring book, a doll, whatever. Try to keep her busy.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Check the law on being in a booster seat. My state it's 4 years AND 40lbs
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 12:01 AM on Aug. 17, 2009