my sister-in-law feeds her baby......

ok. i dont know if i should say something. she feeds her 10 monthold chicken nuggets, fries, bacon, raisens, sugar cereals, pizza, candy, everything! maybe im just overprotective....my daughter is one week older and i dont feed her anything with sugar or salt just natural stuff by the book i guess.....but she is just giving this baby like soda and koolaid I just can hardly stand it ! our babies play because they are so close in age and are cousins so i have to watch it, i just want to say dont!! but i bite my toungue. i just dont know what to do.... im sure she means well, but she shouldnt give her baby these things, she even calls me and tells me how he ate all of this or that. he is like double my babies size and i worry about his health

LadyDahl

Asked by LadyDahl at 5:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I feel so badly for that baby.

Get your sister a copy of Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron

Answer by rkoloms at 5:54 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• its really not your place to say anything, its her kid not yours. when they are at your house just offer healthy snacks, strawberries, bananas that kinda thing and when he likes them over emphasize how much he enjoys them. every one parents differently and i'm sure she probably thinks you are over protective of your daughter in not giving her those things.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:54 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• yeah thats not good. when my son is old enough, i definatly will be allowing him to enjoy his childhood and have some sugars and salts sometimes.. but he will be on a healthy diet most of the time. ive struggled with weight issues, and i dont ever want my child to be fat. if i was you, i would say something to her! just try not to offend her. but just let her know your worried about it because you care. or why dont you have your husband say something to her?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:55 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• RK.. if she feeds her chicken nuggets and frys think she is going to care bout that book.. the one u are always advertising on here
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• well if he's "acctually" overweight then thats not good but in the long run, its not your child. I dont feed my 13 month old junk but some of my friends feed there kids junk, it is not my place to say anything, and its not your place to say anything either. Wether you like it our not its NOT your child, maybe you should relax.
    Anonymous

• this is definitely tough. i'll admit my 8 1/2 month old got the taste of real food and absolutely refuses to eat aby food anymore. he also eats chicken nuggets. and pretty much whatever we have for dinner. (except spicey foods or somethin that will upset his belly) i do not give him soda or kool aid but every once in a while when we get ice cream he gets a lil bit.....like tiny bites. but he's not unhealthy in any way. just because the two babies are two different sizes may not be just because how he eats. mine is the size of most 1 yr olds, but was even big when EBF. all you can really do is keep feeding your baby what you want. if she offers your LO a snack you dont approve of, just say no thank you, and give what you want. that goes for meals too. If she starts mentioning that baby might be having health probs then you may be able to kind of slip in your concerns.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• well, she is his sister in law as well....she has been giving him these foods since he was like 5 months! i worry she will say its my kid and then give him worse stuff just to spite me and yes she would do that..... but she really likes me thus far and i guess i will continue to drops little hints about what my baby likes and then she will do that too??? gosh it just breaks my heart to watch that baby eat all that though he is like 26 pounds, mine is 17 pounds and is a week older, she is not big, shes like 5'2 and i dont think he should naturally be that big
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 6:03 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• i dont think im too overprotective.... i mean i understand tastes of icream and stuff but as a meal? im not the type to get involved usually, but i dont know...maybe its just because our babies are the same age ive got those mother instincts towards him
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 6:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• most of the family from that side hates me anyway because i wouldnt bring my premature son to a house full of smoke....they think im a snob, but if not wanting my kids in smoke means that i guess its true.... i probably shoulnt alienate myself more...
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 6:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• ive always let my baby eat what i was eating,she is 14months now and eats all of that if she wants,but she just peices but she doesnt get koolaid,i give her ocan spray or something that has vitamans in it as well
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2009