writing childrens books

So it always been my dream to write books. I really want to write a childrens book. Does anybody have any advice on how to even begin??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Me too, I spoke to a local author from my town and she had a lot of great advice to share with me. She di it all herself. I have written a few and had offers to get them published but haven't had the funds. I would LOVE to do that. My advice to you...keep at your dream. Find local writers and see if they can help you !
    minimommy816

Answer by minimommy816 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I just finished my first children's book manuscript and I have 2 others that I am working on right now. First off, decide what type of children's book and the age level you want to write for. Then either go to the library and check out books for that age level or buy some. You will need to study what type of vocabulary that age has. Also, read, read, read! That is the first step of writing. Next, join SCBWI (society of children's book writers and illustrators). The membership is $75 a year. Also, join some of the writing groups here on cafemom. Next, write, write, write, and then write some more. Try to write everyday even if you are not working on a manuscript. After you have your manuscript the way you want it, try to get some feedback on it from other writers. SCWBI offers this as well as some of the writing groups here on CM. Cont.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:13 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Cont. Next, you need to learn the differences between self publishing and traditional publishing. Decide which one you want to go with. If you join SCBWI, they will send you a list of all the traditional publishers and what they are looking for. Most of them require an agent. It is a long process but once the final project is complete it is worth it. (or so I have been told, lol). I personally have decided to go the self-publishing route. It seems to be a good fit for me and it offers what I want. I will also be a attending a conference in Alabama in October for a writing conference. And with in the next few months my book will hopefully be coming out, so look for the title 81 Guests and 9 Cakes by Amy Martin. Good Luck in your adventure!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2009