Wedding Anniversary

My MIL thinks that she should get a card and a present from us and her other son to celebrate HER wedding anniversary to my FIL.
She said that when she was growing up, she would call her parents and send them a gift on their wedding anniversary.

.... Has anyone heard of this? Because I never have, and frankly, I think it's kind of absurd. Especially that she's asking it, like it's her birthday?

I'm happy that she will be married for 30 years this year to her husband, and I'm happy that they have conceived and successfully raised 2 sons - one of which is my DH... but... really? :[

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 6:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i think she was alittle rude. ive heard of the phone call to wish them a happy anniversary..but the 50th anniversary MAY be a litte diff..i remeber my grandparents had a huge bash and gifts were given and such..but thats a big one! the 30th is great but idk..its absurd thats SHE ASKED for gifts..
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 6:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I send my parents a card, and now I send my inlaws one. I think a card is enough, but I am grateful to them for working hard at their marriage to provide a stable homelife for me when I was growing up.

Answer by missanc at 7:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I send both my parents and in-laws cards on their anniversaries.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 7:24 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My mom wasn't married, so I never sent her an anniversary card. But I always gave my grandparents a card. To me it said that I was very happy for them. This is what I was taught, a simple loving politeness. Maybe it harkens back to the days of the Victorians, but in some things we could learn a lot from them.

What is the big deal anyway. Print something up on the computer and pop it in the mail. Just a way to make someones day better.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I think it would be nice to send a card but to expect it, is wrong. I know my parents recently celebrated their wedding anniversary and we took them out to dinner. My Mom sends us cards on our anniversary. Ah, I see to each their own, don't get offended if somebody outside your spouse doesn't celebrate your anniversary.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My mom wants that too. She wants us to send presents and call and make a fuss for every holiday. I know mine dose it because she has low self esteem and needs to be validated. I try an ignore her on all but the holidays that I feel I want to send her something her, Mother's Day, Christmas, and B-day.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Wow. Wow. I sent my mom and her husband an anniversary email. When my parents were married, I sent them an anniversary email. Nobody should expect anything from anybody except their spouse on their anniversary.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:19 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• MILs are interesting creatures. They deal with letting their son go in varying degrees of success, and it looks like yours is struggling. I think their motivation for stuff they do is to make sure they're not forgotten about, and they need to be reassured that someone is listening to them and valueing them. It is a little rude/strange to ask this of you. It would annoy/frustrate me. But I think you will feel like a better person and keep peace in your family if you do something nice to acknowledge the anniversary. (more than a phone call). It won't kill you and won't make you a push over or a door mat. JMO.

Personally, I am not in that situation. My DH's entire family thinks giving presents or cards on holidays is ridiculous, and MIL let me know early on that their ann. is very private and concerns no one but them and they do not want a card. My family only expects card or gift on birthday or Christmas.
    vintagesnow

Answer by vintagesnow at 11:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2009