If you overhear someone making racist, homophobic, anti-semitic, etc. remarks...

Would you speak up and tell them how offensive it is? Would it matter if the person was a stranger, coworker, friend, etc.?

BoundHearts

Asked by BoundHearts at 6:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would go off on them no matter who they where.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• It really depends on where we are, who they are, and if I have my DD with me. I wouldn't create an argument with someone who I thought might resort to physical violence. I would walk away if I needed to and if DD was with me explain why I felt that person was wrong. But in most situations yes I'd confront the person and tell them my views.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:15 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I agree with Salem. I hate to say it, but I won't speak up if it's a stranger. You don't know what strangers are capable of, you know? I'll speak my mind around certain family members. Some I know are not worth the argument, since I won't change their mind no matter how hard I try.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:17 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I've told off my neighbor before.
    And my SIL's boyfriend.

And anyone else who spews hatred in my presence. :]
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 6:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I would respond hopfully in a nice way! 4 of my grandchildren are mixed so this subject is near and dear to my heart!
    Linchleb

Answer by Linchleb at 6:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• It would depend on what exactly was said and in what way it was said. I've disagreed with something someone has said on several occasions and spoken up about it. If it's someone I know, I feel more confident about politely saying I disagree or standing up and saying what they said was disgusting. Again my reaction depends on what was said and the way it was said. Strangers I rarely say anything to unless what was said or done was just outright hate-mongering or violent. Like Cait said, you never know what strangers are capable of.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Depends on the situation.

I live in an area where I wouldnt dare tell off someone I didnt know out in the open. Heaven only knows what they may be carrying.

In my home or a family members home Id say something.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I SPEAK OUT EVERY TIME.

Answer by older at 7:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• It does depend on the situation, but I do speak up whenever the situation allows me to. I don't put up with ignorance or prejudice well...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Ditto to older. If I see it and I recognise it as hate speech, I speak out every time. I don't care if you are a non-believer, a Christian, a co-worker, my mother (lol who would never do such a thing) or even a boss; hate speech is never cool. To me, hate-speech surpasses religious affiliations and gets into the social arena. Social issues are very important to me. I've seen first hand what irrational hatred and insensitive comments can do to others, groups and even help form laws.

As an adoptee, my original birth certificate, adoption records and all information about me before I was adopted are governed by laws that are half-century old, based on out-dated stigmas of shame. I know first hand what discrimination is like and how powerless and worthless it can make you feel.

Therefore, it truly bothers me to see someone discriminate or perpetuate hatred or ignorance towards another group (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2009