How big is an 8-month old's stomach?

A family member's child is 8 months and weighs about 30-35 lbs. She is fed baby food, but also french fries, grits, etc. She wears 12-mo. size clothes, and she has rolls of fat on her legs and arms, and a big stomach. I witnessed her grandmother giving her an 8 oz bottle of formula, then trying to give her another 8 oz. bottle of tea within a half hour to put her to sleep. The poor child throws up a lot, and I was trying to tell her grandmother (my sister) that the baby's stomach is too small for that much liquid in that length of time. The family thinks that the weight will come off when she starts walking, but she isn't even crawling now, it's just too hard for her to move! It is really sad!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a child of that age should not be eating table foods she should only be doing baby food and formula like a doctor states as for her weight i would be a bit worried my 5 yr old weights about the same
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• o.O My 8 month old was eating table food. I think the issue here is the AMOUNT and content. Table food is fine, but not french fries(although Emi has had about 5 in her life) and tea!

This is very sad. :(
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• A humans stomach is about the size of their fist unless overstretched..a newborns stomach is the size of a marble...when BF it stays around that size until moms milk comes, then it enlarges gradually being at max 5 oz at a month old. A FF baby needs more ounces as a newborn so babies stomach gets stretched VERY quickly,8 oz of formula may not be too much but 8 oz later on top of that is....and tea in a bottle geez...tea is full of caffeine and sugar do that not know what that will do to that poor babies teeth,google baby bottle syndrome,its disgusting the way it rots teeth in children under age 2. Throwing up also means overfeeding,say something, it may mean they get mad at you but seriously say something...not judging but explaining why you are concerned,4 oz of juice is MAX a day(no tea) 30 oz of formula daily and 3 servings of solids for an 8 month old.
    http://www.earthsbest.com/baby_nutrition/feeding_schedule_print.php
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2009