help please, car seat advise

My three year old will be turning four in a few days, she weighs 41 lbs and is about 40 inches tall- we thought we were doing the right think by switching her to a booster seat a while back- well I have done alot of research lately and have decided to switch her back to a 5 point harness- I can't afford to get the britax regent right now, so my question is - is it better for her to be 1 lb over on the convertible carseat witha five point harness for a few weeks until I can afford to get her the new seat or stay in the booster? Please tell me what you think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would personally be keeping her in the 5 point harness if it is only going to be a week or two.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• i asked my husband who is a paramedic what he thinks because he sees a lot of accidents. he says to stay in the convertable car seat, but always try and stay within the pounds even if its just a couple. but one pound over is much better than a booster seat shes not ready for
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 7:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My son is a little over the weight limit for the 5pt harness but I have had it inspected by the police and fire dept and they have all told me he is safer in that than he would be in just a regular seatbelt. I plan on buying a convertible seat within a couple of weeks as well so i'd just keep her in the seat for now.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 8:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Thank you all so much!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Neither one is completely safe. There is a weight limit on the seats for a reason. They're not designed to go beyond that set weight limit.

Look into the Apex65. It harnesses higher and is much cheaper than the overpriced bitax brand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I am in the minority on this one. While neither option is perfect, I would stick with booster until I could get her a higher harnessing seat. Carseats are tested up to the weight limit, not one ounce over. I would hate for my child to be the crash test subject only to find out that 40 lbs was the limit of the seat's capability.

I don't know if you have looked at other seats besides the Regent, but there are several on the market. As the pp said, the Apex is usually around $90 at best buy, the Evenflo Triumph can harness to 50 lbs and can be found for under $150 instore (less on the internet). Those are the two cheapest as far as I can tell.
    jwaren

Answer by jwaren at 2:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Thanks everyone, we orded The First Years True Fit Conv. seat and it should arrive in the next few days! Thank you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2009