for those of you whose husbands sleep during the day...

how on earth do u keep the kids activity and volume levels down so he can rest? This is starting to feel like an impossibly cruel joke.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 7:19 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Get him ear plugs. They sell them at any drugstore. They will block out a ton of noise. They are foam and comfortable to wear.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• We spent a lot of time outside on the weeks that my hubby was on nights. When I was a kid and my dad worked nights, I remember knowing that if dad woke up, we were in BIG trouble, so that was sort of added incentive to be quiet.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 7:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• It's extremely hard but than again I have a 5 month old. I try to think ahead about what she wants or needs before she starts crying. Thankfully, my SO is a deep sleeper, so he rarely hears her crying.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 7:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My husband could (and has) slept through an earthquake. Very little wakes him up when he's asleep. On that note, I HATE having to wake him up, because he's damn near impossible to get up!! Now he's strictly on days, though, so we don't have any problems. It's been years since he worked nights.
    When he did, we'd spend a LOT of time outside, and we'd go into my office (at the other end of the house) with the door closed to play games and watch movies on my computer.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 7:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My boyfriend works nights, sleeps days. My kids will not be quiet...just doesn't happen. They are loud, even when they try to be quiet. It's a family thing. LOL What my boyfriend has found is he shuts the bedroom door, puts one of those blackout masks on, and then turns on our alarm clock which has the different sounds (rain, thunder, ocean, etc.) to a sound he likes (usually the ocean or the jungle) and it helps. He's also put in ear plugs before when he had trouble sleeping for one reason or another. He feels (and this shocked me, so don't think that I am saying your hubby should or anyone else should think this way) that since he is the one on an odd schedule that he is the one who should figure out a solution instead of expecting the kids to change to suit him. He's also found that if he tells the kids he's going to bed, they will be quiet(er) long enough for him to get into deep sleep, and then he's good.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• We have 5 children and my husband gets home from work between midnight and 3 in the morning.
    I used to tiptoe about but I found that was hard work so now we just go to the part of the house that is as far away from him as possible.
    lovebdus

Answer by lovebdus at 11:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2009