Used Carseats!

Would you rather put your kid in a new booster seat or a used 5 point harness? This would be if you couldn't afford an extended 5 point and your child was big enough/ old enough to be in a booster. If it looked like it was in great shape and the people (who you didn't know) said if wasn't in any accidents, compared to a new cheap booster?

Just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• well you can be as careful as possible. check for cracks in the base and underside. check for recalls. check the expiration date, etc. anything u can do within reason to keep them in a 5 point harness as long as humanly possible is prolly the right thing
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:22 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I was in a slightly similar situation this Summer. My son *JUST* hit the 40 pound mark and outgrew his carseat... and it did convert into a backless booster but those are really worthless safety wise. So I sold all our unused DVD's & CD's, scrimped a few groceries and managed to save the $150 for the Graco Nautilus. It's ***THE*** cheapest on the market. the seat itself will take u to 100 pounds but 65 pounds for a 5 point harness. It's worth it. And it's a lovely seat and an affordable solution to britax which is out of the question for my budget. OH - and I sold his old carseat on craigslist for $35 to help with the cost
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Actually you can buy a Safety 1st 5-point harness booster for around $65 brand new. May not be the most comfy, but it's a 5point harness booster. I found that on overstock.com. My DD is in a backless booster, she is 5 years old, 45 lbs, and about 44" tall. I feel fine with her in the backless.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:54 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• BTW here is the CPSafety recommendation on used carseats if you must use them Used seats Make sure the safety seat is less than 10 years old (preferably less than six) and has never been used in a crash, even a minor fender-bender. You can't be sure about the history of a used safety seat unless you got it from a friend or relative. You will need the detailed instruction booklet which can be ordered from the manufacturer if it is missing, to check that the safety seat has all of its parts and to find out how to use it correctly. Check for possible damage, such as cracks in the plastic, dents, and missing parts. You can follow the USED SEAT CHECKLIST to determine whether your used seat is still safe.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Safety1st that April mentioned I think is the one we have and it is wonderful! It is cushy and very sturdy. My kids went from the Britax Roundabout into the Safety First. I was concerned because of the cost difference but these really are great seats. I loved them so much I wrote a review on Overstocks website. I ordered mine and got it the next day!!!
    http://www.overstock.com/Baby/Safety-1st-Vantage-Booster-Car-Seat-in-Proton/3514171/product.html
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• ^^ That seat isn't an extended harness, it's only a 5 point up to 40 pounds, then it's a belt positioning booster.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Aug. 17, 2009