Food for the soul...

I have never been big on fasting. I don't think it bring me closer to God. During my fast I am just hungry and thinking of food. I know Jesus fasted, what is the purpose?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• he fasted when he went up to the mountains to pray to his fatherBUT fasting isnt required and we can fast all the time if we dont over indulfe in food.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 7:38 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Fasting is a form of sacrifice. My understanding is that it was for serious times when you are seeking God in a special way, or you feel a call to honor God in a special way. It isn't to be a ritualistic thing, or done out of obligation. Some people do a short fast, maybe only one meal and dedicate that time to God for prayer and special worship. Some fast only food but take water or juice.

As for me I have only fasted twice in my slightly over 30 years of being a Christian. Once was a meal fasting and once was a whole day with only water or juice.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Fasting is more than denying ourselves food or something else of the flesh - it's a sacrificial lifestyle before God. In Isaiah 58, we learn what a "true fast" is. It's not just a one-time act of humility and denial before God, it's a lifestyle of servant ministry to others. As Isaiah tells us, fasting encourages humility, loosens the chains of injustice, unties the chords of the yoke, frees the oppressed, feeds the hungry, provides for the poor, and clothes the naked. This concept of fasting isn't a one day thing - it's a lifestyle of servant living for God and others.

"Then your light shall break forth like the morning, your healing shall spring forth speedily, and your righteousness shall go before you; the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard. Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer; you shall cry, and He will say, 'Here I am' (Isaiah 58:8-9).
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:04 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Jesus said: "And when you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by men but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you" Matt. 6:16–18

Interesting that He said "when you fast" and not "if you fast" implying that He expected his followers to fast.

I only fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. And fasting only means limiting myself to one full meal, with two smaller meals that together don't equal one full meal. Doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice. But you can also give something up, like soda, or sweets, for the full 40 days of Lent.

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1997/9703chap.asp might be a good read for you.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 11:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2009