a fever of 101.5 from teething???

My sweet girl has had a fever since yesterday. She doesn't really have any other symptoms besides the fever, and chewing her fingers on the side of her mouth like she is getting her molars in or something. She also doesn't seem to be quite as active as normal, (like she'll come sit in my lap and lay her head on me for a while, which she hardly ever does normally) but, she'll still get up and play & dance around a little bit. She's definitely not acting herself though. I'm hoping the fever is just from teething, but I'm really not sure. I just took it a few minutes ago, and it was 101.5 under her arm. (I don't think she'll lay still enough for me to take it rectally) I am SOOOO worried about her. I guess what I am trying to get at here is.... Have any of you LO's experienced a fever while teething? How high was it? She didn't with any of her other teeth, so I really don't know. Everything I've read says teething doesn't cause

MacyKaysMommy

Asked by MacyKaysMommy at 7:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• fevers and something else must be going on, but most moms I know say that teething DOES cause fevers.***SIGH*** What is your experience? I'm probably going to make her a Dr. appt. in the morning, but any help is greatly appreciated!! I just don't know what to do right now.
    MacyKaysMommy

Answer by MacyKaysMommy at 7:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• You dont have to do anything right now, the fever is not high enough to do harm, you can give her tylenol if she feels bad but not really anything for the fever it self. If she is teething, childrens advil works better than the others for my kids, ask your ped tomorrow for the dosage.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• 101.5 is too high to be teething. I believe that teething only causes fever of less than 100. My son gets around 99.5 or so for a day or two sometimes, but not for every tooth. Call your doc if you are concerned, but it could just be something minor. If it were me, I would give her motrin or something for the fever for tonight and see how she feels tomorrow. If she still has the fever tomorrow, call your doc and see if she wants you to bring your baby in! Good luck mama.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 8:48 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• You dont get fevers from "teething" it could possibly be caused because of teething - putting hands and other objects in their mouths, which could have germs - so probably just viral if no other symptoms. Docs will say to to bring them in or even really worry unless its above 102 ish and or lasting longer than 24 hours
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• 101.5 under the arm is 102.5. You have to add a degree.

Give her some Tylenol and let her rest and do what she wants at her own pace. She probably picked up a virus. My kids just had one this past week. Fever and no other symptoms. Our doc says to call if it hits 104, and call if it lasts longer than 4 days.

Kids do not get fevers from teething.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My daughter is 1 year old and everyone kept telling me "Something is going on, Teething does not cause a fever that high. (Temp aroung 100 to 101.) She was also having diarrhea so I got worried. I took her to the doctor, the took stool samples and blood and nothing was wrong with her. Just listen to your heart, if you feel she isn't acting herself, take her in but fever is the body's way of fighting off infection. Give her Motrin and Tylenol!!!
    Annette4797

Answer by Annette4797 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2009