Christians, I have heard 10% is what you should tithe

do you pull out an actual calculator to give exactly 10%? Do you think of your time you donate as part of tithing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• biblicaly it says ten percent (i dont have the exact verseon top of my head but i can fid it).

do you remember the stroy of the women who gave to pennies, and the man who gave a ton of money? but jesus said that the wmens gift was more valuable because it wa everything she had, an her heart was right.

i believe it has a lot to do w the intention in your heart. if you give exactly ten percent because you feel obligated, and not because its a form of worship to God, then it doesnt matter. you could give your whole paycheck and it wont mean anything if your heart is not right.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 7:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I don't really need a calculator to figure out 10% But yeah, that's exactly what I give.

I don't try to think of ways to make what I give less by calculating time, I'd rather err on the side of giving too much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• actually my association doesnt have a tithe you give what you can from the heart.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 7:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• we dont calculate just figure out 10% of of the check. Like if its a check for $2800 we give at least $280, not too hard :) Personally I consider time I use as something I did extra not as tithing. Also just wanted to add I don't know if the Bible it self says 10%, the word tithe by definition means "a tenth of"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I give out of the abundance of my heart. If I could Id give all. Thats just my heart.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I give 10%.........actually I tend to round up, so I always give just a tad more than 10%.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 9:12 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• When hubby was working we gave the 10% rounded up, to the nearest $5. Primarilly for ease of keeping my checkbook strait. We also gave another 10% also rounded, split between two missionaries. The point of the tithe is to teach giving. God is far more interested in your heart when you give than the dollar amount. After all God created the world I don't think He is going to be bankrupt if we don't give the exact amount.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I am not Christian so this does not apply to me, but I am curious. For anyone who donates time, how do you figure what percentage of your time is that 10% tithe? Or does that not matter?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I give 10% every week.. We round it up also .. If he makes 501.00 we give 50.. :) Hope this helps God bless
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:01 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Once we come to Christ, we die to the law (Romans 7) and we become a new creation. As such, we die to the old creation and we are no longer under law. We are now simply His servants, responsible as stewards to do His will, answerable to Him for every action we take, and every dollar that He brings into our possession. Because of this, I think that the question is no longer whether we give a tithe, but whether we have given our all to Christ. If we give our goods to feed the poor, it profits us nothing without first giving ourselves to God in love (1 Corinthians 13:3). Once we realize that we have died to ourselves and the focus of our lives is now on serving our Lord Jesus, then as a good servant we no longer are free to act as if His resources are ours to use as we desire; they are His to use as good stewards of that resource.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:04 AM on Aug. 17, 2009