mothers helper... a mother.... wtf? help please

I've had a mothers helper a couple days a week this summer since my kids (19mos, 4, 4, 4, & 6) have more energy than I could ever dream of keeping up with. I don't know her family but since she's never ALONE with my kids I didn't think much of it. She pushes a stroller alongside me, slices sandwiches, wipes noses, etc. Today she gave me permission to go in her purse for her epipen, as there were bee's near us at park and she's allergic and was frightened. I happened upon a NUK... which my toddler hasn't used in over a year. I joked that who's the competition she is working for and she replied that it's her daughters, who was born just before she started working for me when my husband was deployed. I think she's 12. She starts 7th grade next month. Do I fire her? tell her to bring her baby to work? Puzzled and speechless is so unlike me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• your helper is 12 and has a baby? See if she will talk with you about it. Who is watching her baby while she's watching your's? Who got her pregnant? Father? someone else raped her? They need to be in jail. This is just nuts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• wait your helper is 12?
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:38 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Why would you fire her? Do you think she has a baby? I think it's for something else......"kids today" will wear a pacifier as a sign of something.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:40 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• aw, that poor girl, maybe you should ask her to bring her baby with her. think about it for a while and make sure that would be ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Yeah well it's also a possibility that she does have a child. It's sick to think about, but I think some people are just too naive and don't want to believe that children that young are able to have children.
    Maybe she was just joking though and she is working for someone else too.
    But, you never know.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 7:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Sadly you don't know the circumstance behind her very young motherhood. She may not be raising her daughter. And by asking her a lot of questions, you may be opening a Pandora's box of emotion. If she's doing a good job I'd let it be. You can use this as an opportunity to be a good role model .
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 7:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Why would you want to fire her for having a child? There could be circumstances that you are not aware of; you trust her around your kids don't you? Obviously then she is at least that responsible. I would make myself available to her if she wants to talk, babyoyzz is right- this could be a nice opportunity to be a good role model for her. Then I would let her make the next move as she is comfortable with- she may not want any advice or may feel too uncomfortable talking about it. Let her decide how much information she wants to divulge.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 7:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• oh my gosh, my niece is going into the 7th grade and there is a girl in her grade who is pregnant...it is very scary consider my daughter is about to turn 14..is she going to help you after school starts? Who keeps her baby? maybe you could just talk to her about it..that's a tough one because it's really sad that she had a baby at her age...
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 7:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Why would you fire her for that? It's not like the girls on drugs and even worse bringing it around your children.

The girl obviously made a bad decision, don't persecute her for it.

With the triplets alone I think its be too much to have her bring the newborn, but if you feel bad for her let her bring the kiddo. I'm sure at this point she really needs someone to listen to her, let her talk about the situation. As an adult and a mother Im sure you have great insight to provide, where her own parents may be lacking. Poor girl..
    SP_Brittany

Answer by SP_Brittany at 8:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Jeez lady, have a heart. Maybe she's trying to make money to take care of her baby. Why fire her???

She's probably learning how to be a good mommy from your example...don't fire her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2009