How do you safely treat fleas in a nursing/lactating cat?

We've discovered that my cat has fleas. Unfortunately, she had kittens last week and all the flea medications that I have found say not to apply to cats that are lactating. I really want to get rid of the fleas and I don't want her kittens to have them. I feel that we're doomed for now. Any suggestions that are safe for her (and her kittens) would be greatly appreciated.

wokingmommy

Asked by wokingmommy at 7:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Pets

• Try either a mix of vinegar and water or you can use Dawn dish soap. Either of those are safe for kittens, however they will not prevent fleas. All of the medications that will are not safe until the kittens are around 6 weeks at least! Good luck and I hope this helps!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 7:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Skin So Soft by Avon, mixed with water, vinegar or lemon juice, and a touch of dawn will keep the fleas off, but will not kill them you will have to do this often otherwise the fleas can kill your kittens.
    Dare2Bme71

Answer by Dare2Bme71 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• there is a product you can get at petco or at your vet called capstar.it is a quick dissolve pill that is safe for pregnant and nursing cats.you give it to your cat and within 45 mins it will start killing fleas.you can give it to her once a day everyday if you need to.if you dont get it treated and the kittens get fleas it can kill them.we just lost an entire litter of kittens (outdoor stray we took care of) because of fleas.
    Sephy333

Answer by Sephy333 at 8:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I know for dogs, you can give them garlic to eat, and it prevents fleas. If that works for cats too, the benifits probably will pass to the kittens too.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:28 AM on Aug. 18, 2009