bitting

I have a 12 month old son and recently his temper tantrums have started to include biting. At first he would just bite my knee or the edge of the couch or what ever was closest. But now he will pick up my fingers for the express purpose of biting them.
Does anyone have any suggestions of how to handle this ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• give him something to bite when he has a tantrum, a rag, a toy, if its how he needs to express his anger, great. he is too young to use words and he just needs an outlet. he picked biting. you might not like it, but its true. you are not alone! give him the same thing every time once you find something that works.
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 8:02 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• i know this sounds mean but i taped my little one on her mouth just hard enough to hurt her feelings and now every time she goes to bite i say no bite and she will cry and go on about her bisness
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• When my son was doing this I would pick him up, put him into his crib and expalin that I didn't like playing with him when I was afraid of being hurt. Now when he goes to bite (21 months old) I say something like "are we going to be able to keep playing together- or do I have to be afraid of being bitten" and he stops. It was hard at first- but by explaining why I didn't want him to bite me over time he has gotten the picture.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:36 AM on Aug. 17, 2009