Need help for school lunch.

My son (3 1/2 years old) is starting for the very first time school this Monday. I know what to give him Monday for lunch but not quite sure what to give him the other days. I want to try to have every time he goes to school a different lunch so it's not boring for him. He'll have school 3 times a week. Any suggestion are welcome.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Paros

Asked by Paros at 8:12 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• sandwiches, chips, fruits, veggies (carrot, broccoli, celery)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Buy a wide-mouthed thermos so you can send some hot foods like Spaghettio's or soup.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 8:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Maybe if you send sandwiches go out and buy different shaped cookie cutters and make them a different shape each day. Also let him pick out his favorite lunch meat or what he'd like to have for the next day the night before so it gives it that personal touch to it that'll helpit so he doesn't get bored with that.

Also instead of sandwiches you can buy crackers and cut up some lunch meat and cheese (cheap and healthier than buying lunchables) so he can build his own little cracker sandwiches.

That's about all I can really think of right now if I think of anything else i'll post it
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 8:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• pre-schoolers are always fun...
    you can pb and j and take a cookie cutter and cut out the middle in some fun shape,
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My kids get jelly sandwiches (both classes are peanut free due to allergies), chicken nuggets, mac n cheese, cold pizza, pasta, chicken soup... on the side they usually get pretzels, rice cakes, and fresh fruit...and a juice.

In my son's class they will heat food since they are still toddlers, but in my daughter's preschool class they don't, so I use a thermos.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• my 3 yr old is going thru a wrap phase..... banana and honey , chicken strips with cream cheese.... whatever :) take your kiddo shopping. he'll show u what he wants.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• The latest issue of Mothering Magazine has an awsome article on how to make children's lunches healthy and fun. I am going to follow the Japaneese way of creating an artful lunch for my little guy. I'm excited about the challenge and can't wait to experiment with creative ways to do simple lunches. Try checking out the article.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• He may also like some continuity in his lunch as he is already facing big changes in his life.

I would try to ensure things he can manage easily. Grapes, carrot sticks, little cheeses and try to avoid lots of sugary foods. Homemade muffins are great because it is something you can enjoy making together and they freeze really well.
    lovebdus

Answer by lovebdus at 11:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• For my son's lunches, I don't always have a main thing (like sandwich) a lot of times it a collage of sides like veggies (celery, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes or just lettuce), a fruit, cheese (just cut from the block), and crackers. If you want dairy, give milk or yogurt. I will also give a slice of meat too. He never complains- he's never eaten sandwiches very well, always took them apart, so I said screw it, I'll just give him the individual things and he can pick what he wants.
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Id et lunchables
    id make sandwichs you can get sandwich cutters to make themin shapes even
    My son LOVED when I woul dpack him chicken nuggets and apple sauce
    his favorite drink was capri sun lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:10 AM on Aug. 17, 2009