When you go into labor...

Do you always lose your mucus plug or does your water have to break or can you just all of a sudden have contracions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• some don't loose their plug until there pushing-others loose it days before labor- If your having contrations 4 mins apart- and ur water still has not broken time to go to the hospital!
    Good luck
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 8:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• with my first i had contactions and they broke my water at the hospital ,with my second my water broke but they had to give me pitocin to start contractions. is different for everyone
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I DONT MEAN TO SCARE YOU ESPECIALLY IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST CHILD BUT YES CONTRACTIONS CAN JUST ALL OF A SUDDEN HAPPEN... IT HAPPEN TO ME IT WASNT AS BAD THOUGH UNTIL THEY BROKE MY WATER...
    JaYsMoMmY09

Answer by JaYsMoMmY09 at 8:40 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• very few labors begin with the water breaking so I definitely wouldnt count on that one! Losing your plug has nothing to do with the start of labor! Some ladies lose it when they are in labor, but I lost mine 7 1/2 weeks before I was induced!

Chances are you will start mild cramp like contractions that will gradually get worse over hours or days
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 8:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Any of the three or all of the above. Every women and each labor is different. Many women never notice losing their mucus plugs (I didn't and my water broke). Some women have contractions and their water doesn't break until the doctor does it at the hospital. Some women have their water break and don't know it because it's a slight trickle. It's all different.

The main thing that signaled labor for me is that the contractions aren't just a tightening like Braxton Hicks, instead they feel like period cramps. It's a deep, warm, painful cramp that feels like menstruation. For some women they feel it in their backs instead of their abdomen.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:03 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• It can be anything!
    My first baby: lost plug & water 8 days before labor & baby.
    Second baby: Lost plug as baby was coming out, started to come out in the sac, it broke when she crowned, though.
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:44 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I didnt lose the plug with my first but did with my second. With both babies my water didnt break before labor, it broke on its own right before pushing.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:40 AM on Aug. 17, 2009