My toddler is 'slap happy'

we have tried timeouts, he doesnt get those.
we have tried ignoring him, he hits harder.
tried telling him NO firmly, he just says NO back.

What should we do now? Please Help!!

AmFam5

Asked by AmFam5 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 14 month old loves doing this too. He gets very excited about the sound the slap makes. Most of the time I will grab his arms and say "No hitting," but he just laughs. I have lately started isolating him when he does it. If he is in a room with me and he slaps me, I pick him up and put him out in the hall and shut the door. I have also tried redirecting him, b/c every time I would hold him he would slap my face. I started taking his hands and showing him what else he can do. I put his hands on my cheeks and let him smoosh them, and I make funny faces until he laughs. He still slaps a little bit on the arms and thighs, but it has slowed down a LOT. And he never slaps my face anymore, he just pushes on my cheeks and is very gentle. I don't know if this will help you, but good luck!
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 8:45 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Teach him 'gentle touch". Show him how to gently touch you. My daughter is slap-happy too, but I immediately remind her to touch nicely, and she'll stroke my face instead of slapping it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2009