CRIB SLEEPING...

MY SON WHO JUST TURNED 6 MTHS AND HAS HIS OWN ROOM..HAS  NOT YET SLEPTED IN  HIS CRIB... HE STILL SLEEPS IN HIS BASSINET ON THE SIDE OF OUR BED... AT FIRST I WAS AFRAID BUT NOW I THINK ITS A COMBINATION OF ME BEING LAZY AND FEAR OF HIM BEING ALONE...I TOLD MYSELF THAT I WOULD START PUTTING HIM IN HIS ROOM ON WKENDS SINCE THATS WHEN IM OFF FROM WORK...  i STARTED LETTING HIM SLEEP IN HIS ROOM RECENTLY BUT I ALWAYS GO GET HIM EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE A BABY MONITOR AND ALL THAT... HOW OLD WAS YOUR CHILD WHEN YOU LET THEM SLEEP ALONE IN THERE ROOM???? AND WHAT SHOULD I DO TO HELP EASE MY NERVOUSNESS??? sHOULD I GET A NIGHT LIGHT OR SOMETHING???

JaYsMoMmY09

Asked by JaYsMoMmY09 at 8:55 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Night lights are great! After all you'll have to do diaper changes and feedings at night (if your baby still wakes up). It's fine to be nervous...but he needs to get used to it. The longer you wait the harder it will get. How about next weekend you put him to sleep in his crib and if you get the urge to bring him back with you, you can either just go check on him or you can make a make shift bed for you on his floor...just for now. Once you see he can sleep there just fine it will get easier. Good luck!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 9:03 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My dd is 12 weeks and she's still in our room...I am scared to put her in her own room - it's upstairs and we're down. I'm going to by a video monitor - it's so expensive but I know it's the only way I'll be somewhat comfortable with it....that way I can always see her!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• my DD slept in my room until about 2-3 months... I think around 3 months she started sleeping through the night and then in the morning she would come in my room for a bottle and we would sleep until about 10:00.... My problem is, is that I dont hear her, I did then but I dont now, shes 14 months and just started sleeping through the night again. Luckily I live with my mom and if I dont hear her my mom does and gets me up. I dont get alot of sleep so when I do, I dont hear anything....
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I started putting mine in their crib from the first night they were home from the hospital. It was hard because I wanted to just hold them, but I told myself I was doing what was best for them (my kids are 9 months, 7, 9, and 11 and all of them excellent sleepers). I wouldn't start a nightlight habit unless it seems to help your son - I've read studies that it damages kids eyes as well. We also leave our bedroom door open as well as my youngests door, even though we have a baby monitor and he sleeps all night, I worry about the power going out, the batteries being dead, and something waking my son.

Answer by missanc at 9:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Our son has been in his own room since 6 weeks. We have a video monitor which has been awesome! It's nice to be able to see him, especially when he makes a little noise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Mine moved into her crib as soon as she started sleeping 5-6 hours consistently at night. I moved her in at 2 mo. with an Angel Care monitor (to ease my mind) and a night light. Another great thing to start early is a noise machine, static or a fan in their room. As they get older and are more apt to wakeup from random noises around the house, it is really nice to have a little background noise in their room to block it out. Also, it is a really good indicator for baby that it is time to sleep - especially when you start doing day time naps in the crib (there will be more light so it won't feel right to baby...sometimes something familiar can help). Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• We had ours in their own rooms, own beds from the time we brought them home. Even when I was breastfeeding. We never did a night light because we didn't want them getting used to sleeping with a light on. We didn't have any noise running constantly in their room because then they would get used to hearing it and not sleep without it. We did not make everyone be quiet when they were sleeping, so they would get used to hearing daily noises while they were sleeping and sleep through normal noise.

(fyi, it's difficult to read when you're yelling in your posts...all caps)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My DD started sleeping on her own at 8 wks. Before that she was in the bed with us. We have a nightlight on at all times and a video monitor. We did the CIO thing for about 10-20 mins. at at time to transition her. It was a rough time for everyone, but now she's 5.5 mos and can sleep by herself and even put herself to sleep. If you stay consistent, he will get the hint. It was anxiety causing for me too. I'd always go in and check on her, but now I can see her on the monitor and I know she's ok. It's great because we have a lot of time alone in the evenings now that she goes to bed by 7:00pm.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2009