What do you think about using bleach as a cleaning agent? I use it on everything and I am wondering about its safety.

RomansMom25

Asked by RomansMom25 at 9:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• My brain associates the smell with a clean house... I love it. I've heard/read that it's toxic, poison, not good in various ways. To each his own, though.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• also it is so CHEAP!!!!!!!! a huge jug for like $2. Organic chemical free eco friendly stuff, at least in my town, costs an arm and a leg
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:12 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Bleach is hazardous and very damaging to the environment.

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)
    For extra scrubbing, I make a paste with salt, baking soda and vinegar.

It must work, neither my husband or I came down with H1N1 when our daughter had it in May.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Bleach is toxic and dangerous if ingested by an infant, plus it can ruin so many things, it's just not worth the risk to our health, the environment or our things.

Instead, I use something similar to what rkoloms makes, except I don't mix in baking soda with mine. I just sprinkle that onto whatever I think needs it, then spray with my vinegar cleaner.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I never heard that before. I wouldn't do it. I don't use bleach on any thing.
    ibeamomysomeday

Answer by ibeamomysomeday at 12:15 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• We use bleach occasionally. I really prefer a water a vinegar mix though.

We had to use it on everything we could a few months ago when our puppy was diagnosed with parvo. Bleach is the ONLY thing that kills the Parvo Virus
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2009