Do you think a person can cause someone else's depression?

Ok, that was worded wrong I think. Ok, this guy I'm seeing was dating this girl, long story short he cheated on her with me and now their broken up. Well, he's been sleeping tons lately...he slept 18 hours from Friday to Saturday. He's said it and I've said it;he's depressed. He already takes an anxiety medication and I just wonder if he's depressed because of me? I mean I've got depression and I'm working on it, and I know that there are certain people who set it off or make is worse sometimes. He didn't seem depressed with he was with this other girl, but I could be wrong because this girl was crazy...Like seriously nuts. He says he's happy with me, but that can only go so far. So I guess my question is, can one person or has one person ever set off an depressive state of mind in you? I really do love him and want him to be happy and if taking me out of his life is what's going to do that, I will.

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 9:12 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• YES! that would be.... acute depression, i believe. and depression no matter who or what is going on in your life is chronic or clinical depression
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:13 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I think he misses her. He doesn't come down to see you. They must've seen eachother again after you and they are having problems again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• i dont think he is depressed because of you i thinks its cause of the other girl...and yes i do think another person can cause another to have depression.i have depression.most of the time i get depressed because of what other people do to me.yes i take it to heart.but it is also a chemical imbalance.
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Yes.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• he may regret cheating on and losing the other girl. even if he wants to be with you, if he had feelings for her it has to be hard to just jump into a new relationship. also,the girl may have gone crazy from being treated like crap- guys love to call girls they've screwed over crazy.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 9:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• No..This girl is nuts. She would call me even before anything was going on with me and him. She would randomly show up where he was. Not like surprises, but just to check in on him. It wasnt' him that told me she was crazy, it was her.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Well, I just talked to him. He says it has nothing to do with becky. That's it's because he just started his teaching job and hasn't taught in 12 years and it scares him. Can't say that I blame him. I'm going to teach and know I'll be terrified at first. It makes sense because this didn't really start until he started teaching again. He also said he has no feelings for her and I believe him. Simply because he's been broken up with her for awhile and hasn't talked to her. He feels worse about what he did to me than what he did to her. I guess that answers my question.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• This is in the "Just For Fun" section? Huh/ It sounds sad. Maybe it should be in "RElationships" or "Health". I'm not seeing any fun. He sounds depressed--but his old girlfriend is probably depressing him.Ask if he needs help. Doctors have ways to treat depression now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• there are 2 kinds of depression 1) circumstantial (meaning it could be over her) and 2) physiological (meaning stuff in the brain isn't working right). So it could be either one. Ask him

Answer by admckenzie at 10:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I never noticed this until a few family members and even my neighbor pointed it out to me. My mom triggers my depression. She is very sharp tongued sometimes and says mean things to or about me in front of other people. I react like it's funny to blow it off but after that I notice I don't want to talk to anyone, socialize, go anywhere and I just want to slepp or cry and think. She is also very controlling about my life and unappreciative of all I do for her. So yes I would say a person can cause depression in another.
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2009