how do u clean unfinished hardwood?

I bought Swiffer for wood floors but DH pointed out not to use it cuz if says 4 finished floors only. What's the worst that can happen? I cannot imagine them looking any uglier. I just want them really clean and shiny and dust free til we have the time and $$$ to get them prettied up

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 9:17 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I clean my finished wood floors with just vinegar and water, but the water might cause unfinished wood to warp. Flax soap (Murphy's oil) is probably the safest thing to use..

Answer by rkoloms at 9:55 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• use very little vinegar and water. You don't want to use any chemicals on hardwood. It could damage them and cost a lot to fix them.
    ibeamomysomeday

Answer by ibeamomysomeday at 12:17 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• if they have never been finished as in the floors being Raw wood it would be best if you get them finished ASAP when we installed the floors in one of our houses we were trying to move things in to the basement before the floors were finished and we were chewed out by the finishing company because we had containimated some ares by laying clean towles and blankets on them so we could walk across the floor.

Raw wood is very sensitive to the dust and oils that may be in the air and cause the wood to finish different than anticipated.

if they are old floors that need refinishing or prefinished floors you can use the swiffer on them but I personaly HATE the way the swiffer leaves residue and streaks and prefere vinegar and water
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• This house has wood floors that need to be refinished. 2 of them have places in the middle of the floor where a rug laid for several years and they have worn off all of the finish. We have a rug on one of them and for the other, I am using vinegar and water to clean them. We have a large rug that we want to put down there. We are waiting on my in-laws to ship it to us, as it's in Texas and we're in West Virginia.

Maybe eventually we'll be able to sand them down and refinish them...
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2009