How can I make my friend see that the way his mother treats him is NOT right?

I have this friend who I'll call Bob, his mother is completely insane. She steals his vehicle constantly (she cosigned and it's recently paid off & she made several copies of the key). She stole his dog recently and there's no telling what she did to her. One time he & his 12 yr old cousin were driving and she followed them (which she also does frequently) and started ramming into them with her car, a cop saw this and she ran from the cop. She has soo much other crap on her and is a drug addict as well. There are so many things that he has not pressed charges on her for. Oh and she steals his clothes all the time. He refuses to get a restraining order, he's called the cops on her many times and they don't really help him (most of the cops in murfreesboro are lazy) How can I make him see that he needs counseling? When I talk to him about it he says "but she's my mom and I feel bad because she's already in enough trouble."

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• Tell him, you are right she is your mother and she IS already in a lot of trouble but unless she is made to be responsible for her actions, she will just continue to get in worse trouble. One of these days she may get killed or piss off the wrong person. His taking action is showing love to her. Tough love isnt easy bt in this case it HAS to be done.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 10:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• my goodness :( thats horrible! maybe you can try talking to him an try an make him see what she does isnt right.. or show him an example of how a good son/mother relationship is supposed to be ( however that may be! ) good luck.. i hope bob can see that this is no good soon :(
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 9:49 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• He sounds like a good boy. But his Mom needs some help--like being in a hospital. She needs to get off drugs and get psychiatric care. She is insane. The poor kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• i'm sure he knows it isn't right.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 10:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2009