glucose test

When its time for your glucose test what do they do? an will you have to do it again like closer to the end of your pregnancy or is it a one time deal?

akalei

Asked by akalei at 9:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They will take your blood then you will drink a bottle of this really sugary drink. You have to drink it within like 3 minutes or something like that. You will sit in their office for an hour, then get your blood taken again. If you fail that test, you will do the same thing only you have to drink that stuff and get you blood drawn every hour for 3 hours. It's usually around 28 weeks. I will have it done twice this pregnancy. Once at about 20 weeks or so and once again at 28 weeks, but that is only because I had diabetes with my last pregnancy.
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 9:50 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• You dring a sweet kool-aid like dring and then they draw blood. They will come back and draw blood again in one hour. That's it! If you "fail" it you have to go back for a 3 hour test. That one, you drink something that is twice as sweet! Yuck! And they draw blood every hour for 3 hours. It's not a huge deal, I just can't handle a lot of sweets with my pregnancies!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I did it around 28 weeks. It came back slightly high(153 and the current cutoff is 140). So I had to go back and do the hourly test. I didn't eat anything past midnight for the first test and it still came back high. I accidentally chugged a little bit more than I should have so that might have something to do with it. If you can, don't eat anything sugary the night before. When i went back for the hourly test , I passed with no problem. But it really sucked they stick you every hour for 4 hours. And you can't eat anything from midnight on. Good luck!
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• when they draw blood is it always in the same spot? or is it like a different spot each time? holy cow i hate giving blood haha. thanks for the answer though :)
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 9:55 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I don't remember when I had mine done. They made me drink this really nasty drink and then wait an hour. Then took some of my blood. I only did it once.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 9:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Don't fret over this test. You drink a flat sprite drink and within 30 min. you should get your blood drawn. I was always in and out of the lab. No worries. :)
    experiencedmoma

Answer by experiencedmoma at 9:58 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I had mine done about 2 weeks ago and I pretty much had to drink a flat soda wait an hour and then get my blood drawn. Wasn't so bad, the drink didn't taste that great but if you get it in lemon lime it's not so bad from what i hear.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 10:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• They will switch arms when they draw your blood. If not, just ask!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:20 AM on Aug. 17, 2009