If it took you a long time to conceive your first child -- 2 years or more -- how long did it take you for your second child?

My husband and I TTC for almost 3 years when we finally got pregnant with our son. My son is almost a year old now and we are hoping to get pregnant a little bit faster this time around. I'm just hoping for some positive responses! =)

We did go to a fertility specialist and found no problems with either of us. We also went on Clomid for 4 months and then I stopped because I hated the side effects. So we were able to finally become pregnant on our own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oops, meant to put this in TTC. Sorry!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I was just under the 2 year mark with my first, so I don't really qualify for this question. Anyway, we did the clomid for a year, two months of which were double doses. I didn't have any side affects. So when we wanted more kids I knew exactly what to do (I mean medically) and it only took 3 months to get my twins. Who are identical so the double clomid had nothing to do with it.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Lol! Well, it took us 2 years to get pregnant with our first. Apparently we figured things out because I was pregnant with our 2nd 6 months later. The third pregnancy came when our 2nd was 9 months old. I am now pregnant with number 4 and elizabeth was 5 months old when we got pregnant!!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• When I was 20 I was told by a fertility specialist that it would be very difficult for me to get pregnant due to some hormone imbalances, and I knew my ex would never agree to any extra measures so I went off birth control and had my son when I was 23. I thought he was a miracle and so we started trying again when he was a year old, my middle son was born when I was 25. I got pregnant with my 3rd when I was the "minipill" and breastfeeding my son, she was born when I was 27. About that time, I figured out I must be fertile! I now have a 9 month old as well. So - stranger things have happened. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 10:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• we tried for almost three years before our son was born, he is an IVF baby. after he was born we never really tried to get pregnant again, but we didn't use any contraception either (we didn't know why we hadn't been able to conceive, so I didn't want to go back on the pill and mess w/ my hormones again just in case that had anything to do with it!). we got pregnant again when ds was just over two, on our own, yay! but like i said - we weren't actively trying, at least not compared to the first time ;-) (i was using a babycomp so i knew i was ovulating, but that's it.)

i have heard very many stories about people who have had a tough time (even needing IVF) getting pregnant the first time, who have had several children afterwards on their own - it's almost like some women's bodies go "oh is THAT what you wanted, oooooh I get it!" lol
    kcbo

Answer by kcbo at 10:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• It took us 2 years to get pregnant with our first...we weren't actively "trying" but we weren't preventing either. My second...a couple of months with the same level of effort.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My first took a year, but my 2nd took 6 years (that's why I think I qualify for this question) here's where I'm helpful. My 3rd I wasn't even trying, when my 2nd was 15 months old, I ended up pregnant again!
    Good Luck. Just because it's hard with one, doesn't mean the next one will take long......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:19 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• First was a surprise, the second one we tried for over a year (about 15 months).
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 16, 2009