I am looking at having my 3rd grader (8 yr old) go to a Montessori school? What are the pros and cons?

My 2nd daughter is very bright and she loves to work independently on her own projects. The public school teachers, while good, still have to work toward the middle range and just giving my DD more worksheets doesn't seem to be providing her with enough educational opportunities. I've never been to a Montessori school and have a tour scheduled, but I'm interested to hear what others who have had elementary aged kids in a Montessori school think.

lisaeNH

Asked by lisaeNH at 10:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• While we were waiting for our daughter to be accepted at a "good" school, we had her in a Montessori based school for kindergarten and 1st grade. She was bored and obnoxious. When she moved to a very rigid, academically advanced program, she did so much better.

It sounds like your daughter will do well in Montessori, though.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• The public school my kids attend made a new montessori-like classroom this year as a trial. It's a combined 3rd/4th class and all of the kids in there have been identified as AG. It's perfect for my son because he is an independent worker and is able to assign his time to tasks, focus on his work, and ask for help when needed. I like that he is encouraged to go at his own pace to complete his work and when he does, she has extension projects available for the kids to choose from. I would not have pulled my son out of public school because this type of class would NOT work well for my daughter and I want them at the same school, but I think this is ideal fit for my son and am pleased with how well it's working out. (It's a year round school so they've been back for several weeks)

Answer by missanc at 10:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I checked into it for my son and there's no way he would do well there. He is advanced of his peers and while one would think working at his own pace would be good...the structure and schedules are too loose. If a child needs structure and guidance, it's not for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Check this link out. I will hopfully answer alot of your questions that you have.

http://www.montessori.edu/
    momof1boy

Answer by momof1boy at 2:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2009