At what age do you start letting them cry it out at bedtime?

My son is 5 months old and I'm wondering if it is too early to let him cry it out, and how long to let him cry.

lyn141

Asked by lyn141 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Never...

Answer by rkoloms at 11:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Its not 2 early 2 start that, just check on him every 20 minutes 2 make sure he's not getting 2 hot or need 2 be changed, and give him a little water or formula when u check on him 2 prevent dehydration, gl
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• five months sholuld be just fine, my pedi and and I got more then one opinion on this said it don't hurt them to cry as long as it's not for hours.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• It should be fine, I would suggest putting him in his crib after reading books and singing songs and rocking so he's really sleepy and ready to just fall asleep. Some people take CIO as just dropping them in their crib and letting them scream without any sort of bed time routine, but I think it's important to do those things before bed because it's great for bonding and it's good for your little one to wind down before going in the crib.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Check out the book Solve your Childs sleep problems by Ferber... it's MOSTLY fixing the things that you as the parent are doing to prevent your child from being a good sleeper... but it also has a CIO method. With my son it took 3 nights before he was sleeping on his own and through the night and he never cried more than 8 minutes TOTAL in all 3 nights.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:23 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I didn't really let my son cry it out at 5 months. Maybe let him whiper a bit but not cry. Now that he is 7 months though I do let him cry it out a bit. It just hard for me to let him do it to long. 5 min is the max I can let him do it b4 i check on him. But I usually only have to check on him twice b4 he is asleep. Good luck
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• let mine do it tonight, but he stopped after less than 5 mins. I don't think I would let him go for much longer. Mine is almost 8 months.
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My son I used the Ferber book at 2 years old and it helped a LOT! So that was modified cry it out at 2.
    My daugher I would lay her down awake and let her fuss from the time she was born. But she had a different personality than my son did, he would go into this panicked screaming right away where as she would just fuss a little.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:16 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Cyr it out advocates say not to do it before six months, and not to let them cry for long. If you want to do this method, go pick up Ferber's book.

BUT...know that it doens't work for all babies. They all learn to sleep better on their own, when we parents stop trying to teach them how to do it. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 12:23 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Never have never will
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 1:06 AM on Aug. 17, 2009