Does anyone else feel like this? (c-section question).

Does anyone else feel like because they had a c section that they didn't really give 'birth' to their baby. I know that sounds ridiculous, but that's how I feel. That he wasn't born by me, he just came out of me. Maybe I'm the only one.

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yes! My baby was breech, I missed "real" contractions but my water broke... ended up having an emergency C. If my husband hadn't watched everything, I would swear my baby I carried died and they gave me this one! I love her to death and I KNOW she's mine.... but just don't feel like a mom! I am greatful I had a C because she is safe and healthy... but I don't feel like a true mother because I didn't have that "experience" and it never bothered me until I got onto here where mothers freak out about the birthing experience. They just took a knife, cut me open and pulled my baby out.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 11:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I was in labor for over thirty hours, and SEVEN of it was active full blown pushing labor....I had an emergency C-Section but I damn well did just as much work as if she had ended up being bored naturally!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• i don't really feel like i didn't give birth to my son but i feel like i missed the most important minutes of my life because they had to knock me out during my c-section.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I was in active labor for the whole 25 hours. No epidural or anything .I still feel like this. I also felt them cutting me open, still feel like I didn't give birth to him.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Let me tell ya, your child was born to you. I had my first natural...thought I was gonna die! I had the next two with epi's. My last two were C-sections...breach. I think being strapped to a table like Christ on the cross, and gutted like a flounder to "give birth" to my children is just as noble or important...if not more so because of the physical sacrifice I made to get them here safely. Just think how adoptive moms must feel. The definition of mom is not in the manner of how the child gets put in our arms, but in day to day love and care. Don't be so hard on yourself.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:19 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• That's awful to feel that way. I gave birth both ways and very much prefer the c-section. You grew him and that's what counts. How he came out is irrelevant.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Its totally natural, but you've got to remind yourself, its not how they get here that matters. All that matters is that you love them! That said, by the time the twins were 35 weeks my joints were killing me, I had sleep apnea, I couldnt' breathe, my pelvis was killing me, everything (and I mean everything) was swollen with fluid, and I suddenly developed pre-e that shut down my kidneys. I may not have gone through labor...but just living was work!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• No, you aren't the only one, but personally, I don't understand the reasoning. But I hated everything about labor and the birthing process, and just wanted it over for so many reasons, so my c-section was a life and sanity saver. The second they told me I could plan one in advance with my second baby I was all over that option, and I wouldn't have a baby any other way, myself.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 11:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• no, i dont feel that way. he still grew in my stomach and there was good reason for me to have him by csection. i didnt push him out of my vagina, but i let them cut me open and take my insides out and take him out and then put my insides back in etc.etc. ... im kind of curious to know what it would have been like to have my son vaginally, but in a way im happy because now my vagina isnt all loose and didnt tear open and shit!!! thank god
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2009