How would I go about starting a fundraiser?

The zoo in my area is most likely going to close because lack of funding. While it's not a great zoo, it's not so bad and I enjoy it and kids love it. The zoo is asking for $125,000, which in comparision to other things isn't that much money. Does anyone know how to start to raise money? Do I have to get permits? Do i need to talk to someone at the zoo? Is there a city official I should talk to?

Like i said, the zoo is nothing spectacular, but its one of the few inexpensive-family oriented things to do, aside from the beach (which of course is free).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• First, you need to form a 501c (www.irs.gov), but check with the zoo to make sure that there is not one already in place. Then you will likely need a certification of tax exemption from the state.
    Once you have those in place, you can start soliciting donations.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:52 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Are there a lot of people that want to keep the business going? If so I have a fundraiser I can offer you if you're interested
    HomeSuccess09

Answer by HomeSuccess09 at 9:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2009