Why is one of my breasts not producing as much milk as the other?

I have a four month old who I am breastfeeding exclusively. Everything has been going well with breastfeeding so far, but recently my right breast does not produce very much milk. I don't smoke, I don't vigorously excercise and I am not on any medication. My baby favors the larger breast on the left, and fusses and cries when I try to put him on the smaller breast. I always begin nursing on the smaller breast to stimulate production but I haven't noticed any results.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep trying and pump in between if you can it will help
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• its normal for one breast to produce more milk its also normal for baby to like one side better then the other. after nursing baby on both sides try pumping that side that makes alittle less for 5 mins or so to stimulate more milk production. good job for breastfeeding thats awsome keep it up.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Why? Because you're a normal human female. We are not perfectly symmetrical and you may NEVER see even production. It's not a problem. It's to be expected.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:20 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My son did the same thing at 4 months. He wouldn't take from the lower producer. I block fed him on that side to get him to use it.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 2:08 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• my daughter likes the right its her favorite and left is a terrible, fuss and fight...lol. It's normal and the right produces more the left one.
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 2:22 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• First kudos for nursing and keep it up as long as possible the WHO and AAP recommend at least 24 months! It is so very normal to produce different amounts. I have been nursing for the last 4 years (two different children with a 4 month break in between) and my left produces more then my right and is larger. Just try to feed on the lower producing side as much as possible to even things out.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:29 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The AAP does not recommend nursing for at least 24 months, their guideline copied from their website is:

"Exclusive breastfeeding for approximately the first six months and support for breastfeeding for the first year and beyond as long as mutually desired by mother and child."

I'm a huge supporter of breastfeeding, but just wanted to include accurate information.

Answer by missanc at 9:25 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i had that problem to if baby refuses it use that one at night when baby is half alseep.also let baby fuss she will take it after a minute.i alwys use both breast in one feeding
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:46 AM on Aug. 17, 2009