I was told that if I need it work that I should ask for "white" amalgams instead of the silver ones. Does anybody know why?

At the Dentist

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I had the same concerns about the metal ones, so I spoke with my dentist about it. He assured me that they were safe, although he did admit there was a slight cause for concern. He told me that while the white ones look better, they don't last nearly as long as the silver and tend to contract and expand, allowing for the possibility of the cavity not being completely covered, which could lead to further decaying of the tooth. Ultimately, he said the decision was mine and did not try to push me one way or the other. I opted for the silver.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:28 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• filling in your teeth? White ones aren't ugly like the silver ones.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• There is a lot of concern that metal fillings leak metal into your mouth. Many people have had years of health problems which were traced to metal poisoning, and they had all their metal filling replaced.

I had a friend - a nurse - who had this problem, so I knew early on to have all my children's fillings be NOT metal. They were more expensive back then (28 years ago) but it was worth it. Now, I think a lot of dental insurance covers composite fillings just like amalgam(metal) fillings ... and the composite fillings are not so much more expensive.

I figure that even if our kids, and ourselves, don't show any signs of health problems from the metal fillings, that's no assurance that metal poisoning isn't taking place invisibly.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:10 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• waldor thank you so much OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Amalgam is full of mercury. I am in the process of getting amalgam fillings removed from my mouth. It's a slow and painful process, but I think I'll err on the side of caution and pay a little extra to get that mercury out of my mouth. My old dentist used to suit up to remove silver fillings. Kind of odd, but I guess he had to protect himself too.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:34 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• there isn't enough mercury in a filling to matter I just read an article last week about dentistry. The amalgam last longer but the white look better so dentist try to push them.

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 1:47 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The metal fillings expand and retract to the hot/ cold that is experienced in the mouth and can cause cracking chipping and breakage. I did not know that dentists were still using them anymore. Your insurance should cover them as preventative care. Fixing the problem is cheaper than fixing it for now and then pay for more work later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The poisoning came from the fact that filing were made with mercury as one of the ingredients in filings. They haven't done that for many years. The tooth colored has the advantage that when you open your mouth no one knows you have any dental work done. One may cost more/less than the other, but both do the same job - fill a hole!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:45 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My kids dental insurance only covered the silver ones, but I paid the difference to have the white ones put in because they look better.

Answer by missanc at 9:43 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I would go for the white ones only for cosmetic reasons. They do look so much nicer. I really don't think metal in the molars that are rarely seen are bad for you though. EVen if there is a trace of Mercury,its not enough to hurt you. I have had them for over 50 years and my doctor says I am the healthiest senior citizen he has ever seen. ;-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Aug. 17, 2009