What are some things that help you fall asleep at night when simply laying in bed and closing your eyes aren't enough?

I'm talking about those nights when you know you're tired, you need sleep so badly, you go to bed, and then just toss and turn and your own brain just won't shut up and let you get any ZZZZ's. And I hate taking pills - drug induced comas only leave me zombified in the morning. Anyone have any all-natural sleep aids or remedies?

MinstrelMommy

Asked by MinstrelMommy at 1:39 AM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Health

• Take a nice warm bath or shower and massage your neck in the bath or shower and drink a glass of wine or tea sleepy time tea... to relax and unwind. That sounds so good right now. Exercise helps to and then take a bath or shower and drink lots of water if your exercising. Sleeping pills is the next thing. Try not to think about anything clear your mind and allow yourself to slowly fall asleep. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• reading a book or magazine works better than anything else I've tried. I even have unisom in the med cabinet but I still think reading works better! Its like a sedative for me..lol
    2boymama

Answer by 2boymama at 1:46 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I take a hot shower...then I play my DS for a while. Reading helps too....
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 2:05 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• A glass of wine always helped me. But now that I am pregnant I wont even touch it so I say reading or some soft music.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 2:23 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I don't know if your religious but I'm LDS and one of the main things that they stress is to pray and read scriptures. I know it's horrible but when I can't fall asleep that's what I do and within a few minutes my brain shuts down enough that I can barely keep my eyes open long enough to put the marker in and set my bible aside.
    You could also try reading something that is really boring for you. The encyclopedia or a self-help book.

Warm tea can help too.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 3:08 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Oooh you could also exercise.
    2murphyboys

• sleepy time tea works within 5 minutes of drinking it for me! i sometimes get insomnia like right now lol but i am still not in bed because i love cafemom and time goes by just looking at questions and answers sometimes i think it becomes addictive to be here, well at least i think i'm guilty f that, i'll stay in here even if i don't ask or answer.
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 3:39 AM on Aug. 17, 2009